Thursday, July 24, 2008

Walking in the midst of trouble



Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting; do not forsake the work of Your hands. Psalm 138: 7-8

I haven't posted in several days, so I thought I'd catch you all up with life here in Russia. We had unexpected (but wonderful) guests on Sunday, because our friend, Marty's, volunteer team got stuck in Moscow on their way out to Far East Russia. On Monday, we met with the summer interns who have worked in Moscow all summer as part of their debriefing before heading home to the States. Tuesday was our "day off" from having others in our home. Wednesday we had our usual card night at our house, and last night was English Club. That's a lot of folks in and out of here! Tonight, Marc will pick up the son of a friend at the airport and he'll spend the night with us before the kids head to MKR (missionary kids retreat), a wonderful time for the teenagers in our region to all be together. (Think youth camp, but in a really cool place.) When they return, I'll tell you where they were, but for security reasons, I generally don't give that kind of stuff out beforehand. But needless to say, our day will be filled with ironing clothes and packing S.B.'s suitcase for MKR. I forgot--our phone and internet also went down for two days, which wasn't all that bad, to be honest. It was kind of quiet and nobody fought over who got the most computer time.

English Club last night was wonderful, as usual. I can't get over the fact that 15 people are coming consistently throughout the summer. Most of them are university students, so they are working this summer as many hours as possible, yet they choose to take the time to come here every week. We are growing closer and closer to them, and even had the chance last night to talk about some spiritual things during our tea time at the end. I was asked a question about baptism, and was able to point out that the difference between our faith and the Orthodox faith is that we emphasize an individual's need for a relationship with Christ...quite a foreign concept to any Russian. Yet I had the opportunity to share that we read our Bible every morning, we pray throughout the day, and that in our family, each member has chosen for himself or herself to be a follower of Jesus Christ. I did not make that decision for the children. They made it for themselves. I could tell that this was a little confusing for them, but as we continue to work with them, I am praying that we will continue to be able to talk about what our personal faith means to us, and what it looks like lived out in front of them.

After they left (and after I talked to my sister on the phone), I stood at my kitchen window and took the video above. It is pretty on the video, but not as startlingly beautiful as in real life. Every night, one of us walks by the window and comments on the gorgeous sunset. (So now you know that in the summer, my children are still up at 11...stink! I tried to keep that to myself so you would think I was a better mother. Oh, well.) After I took the video, I simply stood at the window, looking at this city, thinking about and praying for the thousands of people in my line of vision. The only thing that came to my mind was "Great is Thy Faithfulness." Over and over, I kept thinking of the verse that says, "Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow/blessings all mine with ten thousand beside." I was overcome with appreciation for the faithfulness God has shown me. We have known our share of walking in the midst of trouble since we came here. We have known our share of enemies--not people, but emotions like discouragement, homesickness, and sadness. Yet again and again, He has been faithful to stand up for us against those enemies, to revive us, to save us with His right hand. And if He's done that, then I believe He will complete His promise to accomplish that which concerns us. As I see in my mind's eye those faces that are in our home every week for English club, people I have come to love immensely, I am comforted that He will accomplish something in them. He is, after all, imminently faithful...the ultimate promise keeper.

Well, time to get on the elliptical and listen to this week's sermon from my home church. We've received several notes from different pastors, and what's really fun is to download their sermons and listen to them, too. It makes the time on the machine go faster. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are trusting God to accomplish that which concerns you, and that your stack of ironing isn't piled to the sky. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: