Sunday, September 14, 2008

I am one blessed woman

Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting. Psalm 136:1

I have been so busy the last week that I haven't had a chance to blog, so I thought I would jot down some thoughts this morning, since I (believe it or not) have a couple of extra minutes. (It could have something to do with the fact that I actually went to bed at 7 last night, because I was feeling cold and fluish.) Since I haven't blogged in ten days, I wanted to just spend a few minutes so you would know for sure that I am alive and well and still living in Moscow.

We are swiftly approaching our one-year-on-the-field anniversary. Unbelievable. A year! So much has happened in that year, and it will take a while for me to digest all of it, but I thought this would be an appropriate time to stop and be thankful for a lot of things that may seem small to the rest of the world, but for which I am so grateful. So here's my list of things (and people) I'm really grateful for at this stage of my life:
  • my fabulous husband. He has to top any list. He is kind, compassionate, generous, loving, a great dad, and above all, he is absolutely God's guy. As I watch him grow into his ministry here, as I watch him with our Russian friends, as I watch him seek God's face...I am speechless. As he explained how Jesus' sacrifice saves us using an example from physics and speaking in Russian yesterday...let's just say I fell just a little bit more in love with him.
  • my kids. They are fabulous people. Not perfect, of course. But I was reminded this week from someone outside the family what tremendous people my children are. I think I'll keep them.
  • my parents and sisters. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, on the field anywhere in the world has a more supportive family. Packages, letters, emails, calls...you name something, and my family has done it. I am in love with every single one of them.
  • my friends Astrid and Frances and Donna. I looked around at a tea on Saturday with other ladies from our company, and I realized that I am really blessed with some of the greatest friends I've had in a long time. They are all very different people, and I have different relationships with each of them, but I am so thankful for people who love me, who pray for me, and who laugh with me.
  • splenda for coffee. Honestly, my sister sent me the french vanilla flavor...it's what heaven will taste like.
  • really good slippers. My mom sent me these Easy Spirit slippers that are big and fluffy, and I just love them so much. Right now, it's cold and the government hasn't turned on the heat, so slippers are IMPORTANT!!
  • a couple from my home church who supply us with American medicines. I can't tell you what a blessing that is to us. How Russians survive without good cold medicine, I have no clue. But we do survive, because this couple has taken it upon themselves to keep us swimming in the medicines we need from home.
  • the folks from the States who are helping to pay for my kids' tuition. There is no thank you big enough. Honestly, it has made such a difference in our lives to have the kids at Hinkson.
  • ziploc bags from home. They are worth the effort to wash and re-use. Trust me on this.
  • good walking shoes. We walk A LOT.
  • mickey mouse ice trays. A friend sent them from Disney World, and they have given us no little amount of delight. (Hey, we're easy.)
  • weight watchers snacks. I love them, and they are helping me take off some pounds I put on in the first few months here.
  • Ebenezer conference at the end of the month. Oh, my goodness...you could define anticipation by our excitement over the time in Prague.
  • documents, documents, documents. They are all in order now, and they are the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
  • a company that emphasizes language training. I don't love taking language lessons, but it's unbelievably important to be able to speak in the heart language of someone you're trying to lead to Christ.
  • all the people who read this blog. Some of you know me, some of you don't...but you are so faithful to read and support and encourage. I love you so much, and while I haven't a clue why this would be interesting to anybody, I'm so grateful it is.
Well, the eggs are boiled and the toast needs to be made for breakfast. I'm looking forward to teaching only my two classes this morning and then heading home. I learned quickly last week that a full-time job in a place where it takes a day to dry two loads of laundry is...impossible. Wherever you are in the world, I challenge you to make a list of the things you are thankful for, and I hope you have flavored splenda for your coffee. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the little things.......

Hope you are feeling better!

Love you,

Kay

Tiffany said...

I love your list! I love that you can find things to be thankful in! I love that you blogged again! I missed you!

~Tiff