Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Testimony of a Type-A Girl

Sarah Beth and Grandpa. Sarah Beth is definitely Grandpa's girl.
Isn't this a sweet picture? Hannah and her Poppy...the two younger kids call my parents Mimi and Poppy, while S.B. calls them Grandma and Grandpa. I can't really remember why--it just is the way things are.
What you can't see here is the crazy faces John was making. I just happened to snap a semi-normal picture in between the clowning. He loves his Poppy!

Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, and we shall walk in His paths. Micah 4:2

God doesn't often reveal the details of where He's taking you because He wants you to trust Him for every step. He wants you to pray and listen to Him directing your path for this day, this week, this season, this year, and this time. Stormie Omartian Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I heard Marc talking to a dear friend in Hungary. His family, like ours, is directly impacted by the changes in our company, and so they are having to make decisions about their future, too. We have been praying for them, just as they have been praying for us, that we will all clearly hear God's call and follow it, whether that means moving to a new place or staying exactly where we are right now. This family was at FPO with us, and when we did personality tests, the husband and I turned out to be exactly the same type, which didn't surprise me at all, and I don't think it surprised him, either. So I can imagine that for both of us, people who like planning and organization, this season of figuring out what's next could be infuriatingly difficult. I like to have my lesson plans for the year done the first day of school. I have a 'to-do' list every day, which I delight in checking off throughout the day as I finish things. So what's a girl like me doing in a situation like this? Fretting? Worrying? Staying up nights? Nope. I'm trusting. I'm believing. And I'm sleeping very soundly. You know why? Because He's never been unfaithful to me. He's never left me nor forsaken me. Now I've left Him numerous times in my life. But He has remained absolutely the same. Yesterday. Today. Forever. He won't change. But I can change, and I have.

The last 14 months of my life, while I've lived on the mission field of Moscow, have been the most challenging, frustrating, overwhelming, and intimidating of my life. I have cried, pouted, yelled, and stomped my feet at God, demanding happiness as a trade off for sacrificing my life in the States. But I am not the same person I was when I came here. I have studied His word. I have spent daily time with Him. And I have come to know that my happiness isn't God's greatest concern. My joy, however, is. And I have learned that there is joy to be found in total and utter dependence on Him for everything. I can do nothing for God, but I can do anything with Him. His power is my power, if only I will depend on Him. You know when my life here turned a corner? When everyone who was an important support for me left last summer. Frances, Karla and Kyle went to the States. Teri went to be with the Lord. And I was left here alone, without any of the people who had helped me to survive. But I wasn't alone. It sounds trite, but it's absolutely true...only Jesus could have helped me through the summer. Only Jesus could make me glad for my life here. Only Jesus is enough for me. I cannot make myself happy, or my husband, or my kids. But I can daily choose to depend on only Jesus. For everything. For the big and the small. And I am here to testify to you that this type-A (or A+, as my Momma says) girl isn't worried about the future. I am not fretting about this decision. Instead, I am resting in Jesus Christ, and He is making all things clear to me and to us as we trust and obey.

Well, Marc and I have to make a grocery run. Pray for us--it's an ordeal just to go buy groceries some days. But we have a nearly-empty cupboard (and balcony!), so to the store we must go. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are trusting and obeying the God who loves you so much, and that you are having sausage balls at your National Championship party tonight. Blessings to you and yours! And GO GATORS!!!

His,
Kellye

No comments: