Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lord, save me!

Marc in the splendor of his cold-weather gear. That's not gray in his beard, by the way--it's ice. I believe this was taken in Sergut, in northern Siberia.

They became very much afraid and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?" Mark 4:41

I am at home with a sick child (John John, who sounds like a seal in the other room), so I thought I'd take a few minutes to "check in" with all of you. The girls are on their way to school, Marc is at the airport on his way to the States, and I am enjoying a second cup of English Tea Time. (Norma, if you read this--please send some Constant Comment, because we're out!) My house is relatively quiet--minus the sounds of Spongebob Squarepants drifting from the living room, where John John is on the couch with his stuffed husky and blankey--affording me some peace and quiet in which to think. I don't know about your home, but in our home, peace and quiet is a rare and priceless commodity, so I try to take advantage of it when I can.

I received a call about 4 a.m. yesterday. Normally, it would have woken me, but since I was already up (the nyquil had worn off), it was no big deal. The voice on the other end of the phone was my great friend Janet Wells, who relayed the unbelievable news that the choir at our home church, First Baptist Middleburg, Florida, had collected the rest of the money needed for Sarah Beth's Uganda trip, plus some. Sarah Beth leaves for Uganda in just about five weeks, and we were beginning to sweat the last $425, because we certainly couldn't afford it. But, as usual, God knew that, and supplied the money in a way that glorified Him. Isn't He just ridiculously good? I mean, honestly--aren't you sometimes just overwhelmed by it?

I'm reading through Mark, and today I read about the storm. They're in the boat, they think they're dying, and Jesus is calm and asleep, completely at peace in spite of what seems like a deadly situation. They wake Him, He calms the sea and wind with just a word, and then chastises them for their lack of faith. I don't think He's upset that they were scared--a storm at sea is scary--I think it was their absolute panic as if He wasn't in charge that frustrated Him. Then, of course, they are amazed and fearful, wondering who this is, that He can control the sea and wind with just a word. Before we get too superior, thinking that if WE were in the boat, we'd have been sipping tea, basking in the peace that comes from knowing the Master of the wind and sea, let's all admit that we are guilty of this. "LORD!!" we call out in panic as something happens that we don't understand or that makes us fearful. "Save me!" I wear a ring around my right ring finger (where Russians wear their wedding band) that says, "Lord, save and protect me" in Russian, so I don't think there's anything wrong with calling out to the Lord. What I do think is wrong is that sometimes I call out because I think He's unaware. I think He's forgotten me. I think He's left to go do something more crucial or be with someone more important than I. That's where I sin. I call out to remind Him of my situation, when in reality, He not only knows my situation...He knows exactly what's going to happen. He never leaves me. He never forsakes me. He never thinks someone or something else is more important. He does not promise me a life without troubles, but He promises me I will not face those troubles alone. And so, no matter what I face--a couple of weeks without Marc, a health problem, nagging colds we cannot get rid of, decisions about our future, or changes on the field that we do not understand and that directly impact people we love and adore--I am not panicked. He is here. He knows. And I am here to testify to you this morning--there is great peace and comfort in that, and I am grateful for it.

Well, I should get some work done before my girls get home this afternoon, so it's off to the ironing board for me. Thank you for reading this. Thank you for loving me and my family, for encouraging us with your kind words and your prayers. I'm not sure I've thanked you lately, but I always want you to know--I am grateful for you. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are experiencing calm in whatever storm you face because you know the One who controls the sea and wind, and that your daughter's mission trip to Uganda has been paid for by people who have blessed you in ways they cannot imagine. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: