Friday, July 10, 2009

Good morning from Prague!

Me and my man by the Aegean Sea. Not a bad life we lead, is it?
The family posing in front of the Aegean Sea. Sarah Beth had a worship service she had to attend, so she couldn't be in the picture, but otherwise, I think it's pretty good. Not real sure what John is looking at, though. No telling, really.

I am here not to realize myself, but to know Jesus. In Christian work the initiative is too often the realization that something has to be done and I must do it. That is never the attitude of the spiritual saint, his aim is to secure the realization of Jesus Christ in every set of circumstances he is in. Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

It is a rainy, cold morning in Prague, and I am thoroughly enjoying a cup of Starbucks House Blend. My wonderful husband brought me some from a trip he made yesterday. It's my one extravagance on the field--I like to have really good coffee every morning. Things here are going well--we arrived on Monday afternoon and have been working on settling in ever since. Our boxes are on a truck still in Moscow, so that's not ideal, but it worked out okay, since now we will have everything ready before our stuff arrives sometime this week or next. Hopefully, that will mean that when it does arrive, unpacking will be a little bit easier. It's never easy, though, is it? But we are settling in to life here, which is very different from life in Moscow. We are enjoying the new apartment, which has a good amount of space, and we are getting to know the neighborhood. It's really nice to have a neighborhood--definitely something we missed in our part of Moscow.

One thing that has been particularly great about our week is the incredibly warm welcome we have received. We really feel like people are glad we are here, and that is such a blessing. It was not an easy decision to come here--we love Russia and Russians, and we really struggled with the idea of leaving both. But God has confirmed for us, again and again, the decision we made to be here. That doesn't mean I don't miss my friends in Russia, because I do, or that I am not a little overwhelmed by Czech, because I am. We have already begun to seek out places where Russian-speakers are. Sarah Beth came home from buying shampoo earlier in the week with the good news that the owner of the store was Russian and very nice. I am looking forward to heading in to meet her some time in the next week. The great thing about speaking some Russian is that there are pockets of Russian-speakers everywhere in the world. We are definitely not limited to Russia. I cannot help but think that is not a coincidence, but rather a Divine design. I don't really believe in coincidence, anyway.

So what does any of this have to do with the Oswald Chambers quote above? I've been reflecting all week on my time in Russia, on my life for the last two years, the victories and struggles, and I've come to realize that many times, the struggles were God's way of bringing me back to a desire just to know Him. Not to do anything for Him. Not to learn Russian for Him. Just to know Him. I am a worker bee, and I definitely enjoy when I feel like I am doing something. But sometimes, the best, most important thing I can do is sit still and worship. Sometimes, rather than always trying to be busy doing things for God, I need to shut my trap and listen to God. I am praying that my time in Prague will be a time to renew my mind, renew my strength, and renew my joy in serving the God of Everything. All of those things are wrapped up in knowing Him more.

Well, I am going back to get a second cup of coffee, and it's time for me to grab the clothes out of the dryer before they get all wrinkled. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you would take time today to stop and listen to the God who longs to know you and be known, and that you are going with your husband to Bohemian Bagel for breakfast, too. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: