Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Being consumed by God's fire

Our Sarah Beth...unbelievable to me that she's grown up!
Hannah on the cruise we took to the Bahamas this summer. We had such a good time!
John John at one of the churches we spoke at this summer. And yes, that is a Russian flag stuck in his hair. I've found it's better not to ask.

Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:28-29

I know, I know. It's been a while. Too long, really. I've gotten some little reminders from several of you that it might be nice if I posted something. It's just that American life seems very busy, but I don't always have a lot to say about it. But of course, American life is coming to a close for me very quickly, at least for a while. In nine days, we leave for Austria, for a life we know but don't know, a place that we call home but have never seen. Hopefully, I'll have more to say there and find the time to write about it.

We have just returned from our appointment week. If you're not Southern Baptist--maybe even if you are--appointment week is where they bring all the new m's to one city, have a bunch of meetings, interview them one last time, and then commission them to go into the world. It is exciting, exhausting, and exhilarating. (The alliteration is just a little shout out to my pastor, Alan Floyd. He's the KING of alliteration.) There isn't really any way I can describe it to you. It's a very personal time, a very intimate time with the Lord and with others who are like-minded, whose passion is to go into the Nations with Christ's love. There is a good bit of laughing, but there are also many sobering moments when you count the cost of what you're agreeing to do. It's one thing to sign my life away, to sign Marc's away...but it's entirely another to put the names of our children on that line. We counted the cost of that a long time ago, and we know for sure that serving God is worth whatever price we must pay, but it's never a bad idea to think it through one last time before we step on the plane.

I read the verse above on the morning that we were going to be interviewed by the trustees for Europe that evening. As I was preparing for that meeting, that last interview in a long line of interviews and paperwork, I started thinking about how God called me. I think it's a very hard thing to describe to someone God's call on your life, because it's such a personal thing. And particularly to those who aren't believers, it is difficult to explain without confusing them with church speak. And while we've told the story of telling each other we were called, I knew that what the trustees would ask would be about my personal call to go overseas. As I formulated that response (I was correct, by the way. They did ask this precise question.), I thought about God being a consuming fire. I thought about that time in my life, not an unhappy or discontent time, but a restless time, when I knew that there was MORE. I didn't know what MORE might be, but I knew God had something in mind for me, for my family that wasn't like other people. And that was a confusing thing for me, because I know me. I am not special. I am not extraordinary. I'm just an ordinary wife and mother. What would the great God of Everything want with me?

It turns out that what He wanted was every bit of my life, every iota of my being. I'm still ordinary in every conceivable way, but He is extraordinary. Given half a chance, He consumes those He loves and makes them MORE. His lovingkindness, His mercy and grace are inconceivable blessings showered on all who allow Him into their lives. And that isn't just for me and my family. That's for everyone who believes and follows Him. No matter what you've done. No matter how lousy you think you are. No matter what secrets are hiding in your closet. Grace and mercy and peace beyond comprehension are yours for the claiming. That's news good enough to share, don't you think? It's news that has so radically changed my life that I'm not just willing to give up everything to share it, I'm glad to do so.

And that's what I told the trustees. I have to be honest--I was nervous going into the meeting, but it was a really sweet time for us. It's a story I never tire of telling. It's a story that will sustain me through some dark days that I'm sure lie ahead. It's certainly a story that has kept me warm through the dark Russian winter. The great God of Everything has given me--Kellye Hooks from Middleburg, Florida--a front row seat for how He is working around the world. I'll never get over it. Never.

Well, it's time to pack some more. We are making some serious headway, but there is still much to be done. Plus, we have goodbyes left to say, and that is never fun. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are living in awe of God's goodness and mercy to you, and that you don't have to reduce your life to suitcases. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: