Friday, March 2, 2012

Be nice or shut up

The church in our neighborhood. I think this is the first picture we have of it during the day.
The view on my morning walk. Is it any wonder we really love our neighborhood?

They will know we are Christians by our love, by our love...

It's been a pretty interesting week in the Hooks household. Marc and I finished our first month of language school. That was pretty great. We both were successful in our efforts to learn Deutsch, and that was great. Some very encouraging ministry opportunities presented themselves this week, and that was great. Lots of good stuff this week, for sure.

When we found out we were coming to Vienna (i.e.--we had to learn another language), we were a little nervous. After all, Marc and I are middle aged, and stuffing on more language into a brain full of Russian was pretty daunting. So we knew this month would be hard--and we were right. It's hard to learn a new language, no matter how many languages are already floating around in your brain. It was lots of studying, praying, practicing, labeling stuff in the apartment, and reviewing flashcards. (Thank you, Lord, for flashcards.) And with God's help, we did it. It was also very nice for us that so many people were so encouraging to us. Little notes on facebook, prayers for tests...just sweet reminders during a difficult season that we are loved, remembered, and held up by people at home in the U.S. and all over the world. It was nice.

I love Facebook. I really do. I know people who think it's beneath them, and that's fine. But for me, Facebook is a way to keep up with people I only see every four years, to touch base with former students as they go into the world and make lives, to catch up with old friends and know how to pray for them. (It's also a great way to keep track of birthdays!) Facebook allows me a daily presence in Sarah Beth's life, and it helps me know her friends, even though we're far from each other. It gives me a chance to interact daily with my parents and sisters and nieces and nephews, to keep up with the important stuff that we're missing because we're so far away. It takes a little of the sting out of homesickness, which is a struggle for us right now. It can be a force for great good, a chance to exhibit some really Godly qualities, to encourage people, to love people.

But it can also be a place for people to be pills. You know what I'm talking about. The people who feel like we must know their every political belief. The people who argue. The people who put stuff out in the Facebook universe and then are really nasty about anybody who disagrees with them. (I would not be much of a disagreer. People like that make me tired.) I'm going to be honest--I've done some cleaning of the old friends list this past week. Generally speaking, if you aren't an encouragement to me and mine, if you are constantly ugly and political, I've unsubscribed from you. Because our lives are hard enough without that. Isn't everybody's life hard enough, no matter where you are, no matter what you're doing? (If not, could you give me a call and help me figure out your secret?!?!)


Here's the thing I try to remember as I post stuff on Facebook or on this blog--the world is watching us. You may think that political nastiness is just great conversation, great debate, but the truth is that you don't look any different from the world around you. And if we as Christians are not kind to one another, tearing one another down, lambasting each other over our differences while ignoring the great LOVE that is the center of our lives...why would the world want any part of us or our Jesus? My life overseas is hard, it takes work--but I am overwhelmed daily by the love of my Savior. By the relationships He allows into my life as an encouragement and a kindness to me in times of struggle and times when things are great. I am literally surrounded by people I love. I have tremendous parents and sisters, great friends, an incredible church I adore, and a life filled with the great people I've been allowed to call my students. My children love each other and Jesus. My husband treats me like a queen, even when I really don't deserve it. He is my very best friend, the person who makes me laugh the most, and my biggest cheerleader. All of these, my friends, every single one is a gift from the Giver of all good things. In the face of such lovingkindness and grace and mercy...what is there to do but encourage one another? To spur one another on to run the race with dignity, with humility, to finish strong? And if that's not what you're doing...why?

Here's my challenge to you if you're on Facebook or in any situation where you are interacting with others publicly: be nice. Encourage your Christian brothers and sisters. Be kind. Realize that just because it comes into your brain doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth. Consider others more important than yourself. Love people. Seek with every word and deed, even on Facebook, to be as much like Jesus as you can. Because the world is watching, my friends. They're watching us, and they're watching how we deal with one another. The Bible says that if we claim to know Him but don't have love, we're liars. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to stand before the throne of the Most High God as a liar. Instead, I want to overflow with the love that He has so graciously poured into my life. I want to love like He loves. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are loving and encouraging the people in your life, and that you are ready for your son's birthday party this afternoon, too. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

2 comments:

Patsy said...

amen, sister, i love you !!! i agree 100 percent, I LOVE FB for the same reasons and dislike it for the same. HUGS

Christina said...

AMEN! Preach it ... wait a minute ... can I say that? Oh well ...