Friday, November 16, 2012

10,000 Reasons

Ummmmm....I actually live here. This is my neighborhood. Is that incredible, or what?!? (Props to my man for the beautiful photography.) 
You're rich in love/ and You're slow to anger/ Your name is great/ and Your heart is kind/ For all Your goodness I will keep on singing/ Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find. --Matt Redman

We are home from our conference in Germany, and I'm doing laundry like a madwoman in order to get Marc ready to go out the door at the crack of dawn on Monday for a trip to Hamburg, Germany. Mixed in with the laundry and a quick visit to a church bazaar here in Wien, I also have to make up all the homework I didn't get done while I was at the conference, so this looks to be a crazy busy day. (I spoke a lot of German at the conference. Do you think that counts?!?) But I wanted to take a few minutes and just check in with you and catch you up on what God is doing over here in our part of the world.

The conference we attended was for first-term people in our company, people finishing their first year on the field. Of course, we aren't actually first-termers, but we were invited because it is our first career term with the company, and we were really glad we got the invitation and accepted it. It was really the best conference I've been to with our company, and that's saying something--we have great stuff all the time. Everything was well-prepared. It was a mix of spiritual and practical. (One thing I was really grateful to have was a list of language smart goals. Things like memorizing the books of the Bible in your new language. You'd be surprised at how much of that kind of stuff gets lost in the shuffle of memorizing that the table is male, etc.) We had great child care, and there was incredible worship music (auf Englisch!) and Bible study. But, of course, the best stuff was the one-on-one, where are you and how are you doing kind of stuff. I'm an introvert, and that kind of stuff can be intimidating to me--especially when I feel like everyone else knows each other and we're going to be the weird old people in the room. But I felt really at ease from the beginning, and I thoroughly enjoyed every single second of the conference. I'm really grateful to work for a company that works hard in difficult financial times to invest in things--like this conference--that contribute to our longevity. Renewal, relaxation, a new commitment to the work--these are things that help us last. And I really want to last.

One of my favorite songs was sung a few times during the week, and it made my heart so happy. If you don't know Matt Redman's "10,000 Reasons," you must go to iTunes right now and buy it. It is absolutely one of the greatest songs ever written. (Ok, I know that's just my opinion. But seriously--go buy it.) I love everything about it, but I especially love the idea of just blessing God's name. Not necessarily because life is grand, because sometimes (often?!), life here is a big mash of chaos and crazy. And by life here, I mean on earth, not in Europe. :) Truthfully--I have never lived anywhere that I thought was easy. Not Florida, not Russia, not Austria. Living the life God planted in my heart, choosing to be where I am, no matter where I want to be...these are tough things for everyone, aren't they? So it's not a song that says, "Hey, God. Thanks for doing _____________ and making my life so easy and great." Because I don't know how true that is for the real Christian experience. Maybe that's just not how He works in my life. Maybe your life is easy sailing, because God has chosen to make it that way. If so, you need to write a book and make a million dollars, because I'm pretty sure you're the only Christian alive who has had that experience. But the song just blesses His name for the things He is. He is rich in love and slow to anger. He does make the sun come up every morning. He is good. Beyond measure, beyond words, beyond my capability to explain...His goodness overwhelms every aspect of my life. He is faithful and true and sure, and He loves me. Loves ME. Kellye. The big mash of chaos and crazy. I'll never get over it. I really won't.

One of the things God is teaching my heart--and our family's heart--is to be grateful in whatever circumstances we find ourselves. Because I have seen and tasted the Lord's absolute and utter goodness, I know He has only my best in His heart. When good times come--rejoice! When bad times come--rejoice! That is work sometimes for me. Sometimes (gasp!), I am not very grateful for the goodness and mercy and lovingkindness He showers on my life every day. Three incredible kids who love each other and are close. A husband who adores me and treats me far better than I deserve. Parents who raised me to love Jesus and others. A family legacy of loving God and serving mankind. C'mon. My life is full of His very best. Yet it is often true that I overlook those things. I want things to be easy. For me, certainly. But much more for my kids. When struggle and doubt and hard times come into their lives, it pains me. It makes me question. Why, God? We haven't given up enough? You have to make it hard, too? But oh, my friends...that's dangerous territory. Because here's the thing: if my giving up and sacrificing is what brings good things into my life and our lives, then God is not at all who He says He is. If I can earn a little bit better for my family by giving stuff up and being "spiritual," then He has lied. And I know for sure that He hasn't. And so whatever is in His plan for me comes out of His faithfulness and love and mercy and His incredible plan for my life and my family's life. I haven't earned any of the blessings in my life. He just loves me that much. I'm awestruck at that, mostly because I know myself. I am the most undeserving person. Given the chance, I'm truly awful. Ask anybody. :) But the God of the Universe not only loves me, gave His son for me, saved me...He has invited me on this incredible adventure with the people I love most in the world, this chance to watch Him do things only He can do. Hallelujah! Amen.

Well, my friends, there is German homework and laundry calling my name. (Not literally. Don't worry.) One of the things we're learning is that John and Hannah have spent so much of their lives outside of American English that they really don't have a clear grasp of American idioms. I've started to ask--do you know what that means?--because often, they don't. So I wanted you to know that the laundry and homework are not actually speaking to me, just in case you were nervous about that. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that during this Thanksgiving week, you have more than ten thousand reasons that your heart has found to be grateful to our incredible God, and that you are headed to a Christmas bazaar today, too. Blessings to you and yours!!

His,
Kellye

No comments: