Friday, November 30, 2007

Little House on the Tundra (again)

As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” I Peter 1:14-16

I know for lots of people, the “former lusts” which sometimes haunt them are things that others see as obvious sins. For me, that isn’t true. The “former lusts” with which I struggle are those parts of my personality which have made me very successful in my career as an educator—being driven to succeed, being a perfectionist, having a need to be in charge and control, being an organized leader. On the surface, none of these seem like terrible things which God frowns upon. And of themselves, they’re not. But for me, combined together, they have made for a life that has been very successful from the world’s point of view, but not terribly successful from the point of view of the Biblical standard for women.

The most difficult part of being in Russia for me has not been the weather or the language or the time it takes to get things done or the homesickness I sometimes feel for home and my parents. The most difficult thing has been the absolute loss of my identity or at least what I considered my identity. You know what? No one here cares that I can sing—most people here can sing. No one here cares that I have been super teacher in the past. No one is fighting to get their kids into my class—the only kids in my class are the three I gave birth to. You know who they’re really excited about being here? Marc. Marc is the one they prayed for all these years. I’m not saying people aren’t happy I’m here, because they are, and I am making some great friends. What I’m saying is that the skill set that Marc brings to the field is the reason we’re here. For the first time in my life, I am taking a backseat to what Marc can do. I am in the support position. For years, he did lots of things so I could be the kind of teacher I wanted to be. Now, it’s my turn. And it’s hard. It’s really, really hard. I am a home schooling housewife, and I’m telling you, it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

Little by little—and some days, in great big chunks—God is stripping me of all the stuff that I had built up in my mind as success. Success used to be high scores on the AP exam or awards for my teaching or applause for a song well sung. These days, success is a good meal or a particularly good family movie night or a lesson that went well for one of the kids. Success is getting them to school for p.e. and being able to explain to the security guard in a very simple sentence what we’re doing there. Success is finding a Christmas present at a price I can afford. Success is getting up early and having my quiet time so that when Marc gets up the coffee is ready. Success is snuggling with John-John before he goes to sleep and having him put his skinny little arm over me and tell me that he loves me very much. Success is seeing my kids make friends. Success is watching Hannah finally settle into being here. Success looks really, really different for me these days. But can I tell you this? For all the success I have enjoyed in my life, none has been as sweet as the daily victories of a family life that is becoming more successful every day. None has been as sweet as watching my children start to thrive in their schoolwork. None has been as sweet as having breakfast and dinner together every day and night, and actually having the energy to sit down and talk with each person about what has happened in their day. It’s hard, and it’s so much work, but daily God is changing me more and more into the person He sees when He looks at me, and less and less like the person I used to be.

So here’s the rub: I have an offer to teach at the Christian school. It’s a great school, and I love the people there. I am enjoying taking the kids Tuesday and Thursday for p.e., lunch, and recess. And basically, I can have my choice of schedules. I can start an AP class there, something I’ve done for years and know how to do. And the kids could go to school there full-time. It’s a tempting offer. But here’s what I’m praying through, and if you read this, I’d ask that you pray through it with me. Going back to teaching full-time outside my home is going to drag me away from what I’m learning to be here. It’s going to take me away from home schooling the kids. It’s going to take my focus from my home and place it elsewhere. Is that what God wants for me and my family? Or is He making such a change in me that I can now magically do what I could not do in the past—focus on my job when I’m at my job, but maintain my focus on my home, too. Pray with me about this. I am very, very torn. I would love some feedback. If you don’t feel comfortable leaving a comment, you can email me at hooksfamily@everyheart.net.

Okay, so the story behind the title—I grew up reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and watching the tv show, and I loved both immensely. In fact, I used to play Little House and Waltons all the time when I was younger. (I can hear you snickering. It’s not polite.) So as I walked the mile to the metro and the mile and a half to the school yesterday in the driving wind and pouring snow, it occurred to me that all those years of reading those books was finally paying off, for now I could honestly say that I had walked two miles in the snow uphill both ways to school. :o)

I love you guys so much. I hope that you have a wonderful day and weekend. I pray that whatever you are doing, you will look a little more each day the person God sees when He looks at you. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

5 comments:

Ms. Anita said...

I love Little House and the Waltons, too. When going to bed, we still sometimes say, "Good Night Mary Ellen." or "Good Night, John Boy." :)

I don't have any advice really except for what I continually hear from fellow homeschoolers... which is a consistent thankfulness for being able to teach their own children -- even amidst the seemingly endless struggles. (There are successes, too, as you mention.)

There are many homeschoolers' blogs which I enjoy visiting. Here are just a few...

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/creativehsmom/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaBugs/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/trustingdaily/
and...
mine! :)

Blessings to you, dear Kellye! Let me know if any of this was helpful. I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

We will pray about that for now. It has obvious advantages both ways. Speaking as one who became a housewife only at an older age, it certainly has alot of wonderful advantages. Your focus is totally different, but you (as well as your family) quickly learn the advantages it includes for everyone. However, if teaching makes you happier, as they say, if momma is happy-everybody is happy! There can be alot of advantages there too-knowing the teachers and admin is a great thing, being close to the kids while they are at school is wonderful, etc.

God knows what is best for you at this particular time and we will pray for him to reveal it to you in a way that you will have a great peace about. A sign on the door would sure be nice, huh? Or maybe a long-distance phone call? If only it were that easy.
You will know when the time comes.

Love ya,

Kay

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelley,

My heart and prayers go out to you as you struggle to find God's will in this matter.

Having enjoyed being both a working woman and being "just a housewife" I can understand your struggle. However, I haven't home schooled. The rewards when working outside the home are tangible...a paycheck, awards, a "well done" from an employer...you rarely get any of these when you work at home. Plus the added bonus is having the interaction with other adults. But for me the choice to stay home was an easy one. For my family, I am the manager, so to speak. I have the time and energy to take care of their physical and emotional needs. I am available to my husband...to travel without asking for time off from an employer, or to just take a day and do whatever with him. I keep the home running. And yes I do have time for me. I make time for me. So many people are living such a fast paced life...they have no time. But I have time to enjoy the "little" things God has made for me to enjoy. When I lived up north it was having the time to study a snowflake. At night in our window wells, the flakes would glisten like diamonds as they reflected the light. I watched deer come down from the mountains and glean the corn in the fields. For fellowship some years I had close girlfriends to swap babysitting or go shopping with or be involved in a bible study. While most of my friends have been out making money or taking cruises I have been enjoying the "little things". There are financial sacrifices. But not being able to buy anything I want whenever I want has caused me to live by faith more. I see His hand in our provisions more now than when I worked and provided them for myself.

One thing I learned, Kellye, when I was put in a position that I had to let go of some things and people that meant a great deal to me, was to thank God that I had the opportunity to experience those things, or those people. Some people have never known those kinds of blessings.

You are already doing that...finding things to be thankful for...sometimes it takes a while for the emotions to catch up. That's how it was for me.

If you choose to teach, don't feel like you have failed your family. God has given you your talents and abilities and this job may be part of his plan for you. Being submissive to His will, will give you the peace your searching for.

I continue to pray for you. Thank you for writing your blogs...they draw me closer to Him.

Love,
A sister in Christ

Anonymous said...

Kellye! It's Bethany! Greetings from "the Island".

I don't think I am in a position to offer any advice for your dilemma, the Lord makes things abundantly clear, usually the very minute you need Him to. You and your family will figure it out, and you will have a peace about it, I am sure of it.

Glad to hear that Hannah is making friends and that you have felt God's presence so strongly. You sure are missed around here.

And don't worry, I know you can sing :) Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Welche Sprüche ich auch lesenwert finde sind [url=http://www.dieversteigerungskobolde.de/sprueche.php]Sprüche zum Nachdenken[/url].
Oder kennt Ihr noch andere Seiten mit Sprüchen?
Ich freue mich über jeden Hinweis.