Friday, November 23, 2007

'Tis a gift to be simple

‘Tis a gift to be simple
‘Tis a gift to be free
‘Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be.
--Old Shaker hymn

Let me say up front that this blog is inspired by a beautiful email I received from my friend Tara, who lives with her family in Brazil. I want to give credit where credit is due. After reading her email and responding, I thought you might want to know what things and people I am really, really thankful for this year. Tomorrow, I’ll write about the great night we had last night as we put up our Christmas tree and decorations.

I am thankful for:
• My apartment, which is big by Russian standards
• The babushka downstairs, who was worried something had happened to us the other night when we dropped and broke a pan lid
• A good grocery store that’s less than a mile walk
• Being able to get on the metro and ride wherever I need to go
• Being able to understand much of what is said to me
• My Christmas ornaments and decorations, which (thanks to my mother’s wrapping job) were in great condition
• The Christmas tree that was left for us by the folks who used to live here (trees cost in the hundreds of dollars)
• The friends my children are making
• That home schooling is allowing me to know my children in a different way than I have before
• That home schooling is getting a little easier each day
• Our team, whom we love and adore
• The leadership team in Russia, which is made of Godly men whose judgment I trust
• New friends we grow closer to daily
• Old friends who continue to keep in touch with us
• That the internet was up and working long enough Thanksgiving night for Marc to talk to his parents for an hour (afterwards, it immediately crashed)
• That Lottie Moon pays my bills and I don’t have to ask others for money to support me here
• My Ziploc bags, which I brought from the states (they really do dry well on the tile, Tara…thanks for the advice)
• That the internet was up and working long enough for Marc to “watch” the Texas/A&M game last night while skyping back and forth with his friend, Larry (the game started at 1a.m. our time…I have no idea when he got to sleep)
• My Easy Spirit shoes, which I bought because they were on sale, and which turn out to have great grip on the ice
• My jammy pants, which I also bought on a whim and wear every single night
• Really good long underwear
• Fur-lined boots, which keep our toes warm
• That my sister, Kay, has bought a plan where she can call as much as she wants for $20 a month and that I’ve gotten to talk to my parents every day since they got to her house
• That I got to talk to my other sister, Cathy, last night
• That Sarah Beth and I were able to go Christmas shopping yesterday
• That I brought Herman and Henrietta with me and they are perched on my Christmas tree (thanks Melissa and Gail!)
• Irina, our language teacher, who is the person of peace we prayed for in Moscow
• Leslie, the language enoch (person who is in charge of everyone’s language study) who not only sent us Irina, but has been unbelievably helpful in a thousand different ways, including bringing us three boxes of books her children are no longer needing
• My FPO friends, who call and write and generally encourage me daily—gifts from God
• My sending church, which loves us and keeps tabs on us
• Our partner churches, which encourage people to pray for us
• Kay’s Sunday School class, which has loved us like their own
• A $5 can of pumpkin, with which I made unbelievably good pumpkin pie last night
• My pastor, Alan Floyd, who is a big reason we were able to answer this call
• That people like you read this blog and encourage me through your emails, comments, and prayers for me and for my family
• That the God of the Universe called me to something unusual and different (okay, and hard) because He’s doing something unusual and different (okay, and hard) in my life and the life of my family

See? I told you it’s a long list. And here’s the thing: I didn’t even put half of what’s on my list in my blessings book. Not even half. If you look with eyes of faith—blessings are everywhere. It’s easy during the Christmas season to get caught up in packages and presents and all the “trappings” of the season—and those things are wonderful and fun. But if you take the time this season to really look at all the ways God is blessing you, and if you choose to see even the smallest things as coming from Him, I know you’ll be overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude for all He’s done and is doing in your life, too. I am overwhelmed with contentment and peace when I choose to be aware of how He’s working. I would love to hear what you’re thankful for, too. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: