Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A radically different life

We live with so much noise and busyness that we often don't take enough time to be quiet and think about truth, life, where we are headed, where we want to go, and what we want to accomplish. Consequently we move randomly and purposelessly through life. Pretty soon the years have passed, and we're no different. We've grown older but not wiser--we haven't matured into the stature of the fullness of Christ as Ephesians 4:13-16 says we should. We look at others and feel light-years behind--all because we didn't bask in the light of His Word. Kay Arthur

For those of you who don't know me personally, this blog may or may not be of interest to you. But for those of you who have known me a long time, I wanted to share how and when my life took the turn to international missions, and when my Christian life drastically changed. I hope you will find it an encouragement to you--something you need if, like me, you find yourself with five shopping days and not nearly everything done.

I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was five. I have never doubted that decision, and have, in fact, had it confirmed many times. I was raised in a loving Christian home, did all the right stuff, went to a Southern Baptist college, met a Southern Baptist boy, married him and set out to make a life for myself. I have enjoyed great professional success as a teacher, and along the way had three wonderful children. Except for a couple of bumps in the road, I've had a ridiculously happy marriage. Blessed all around, wouldn't you say?

But for much of my adult Christian life, something was missing. I found myself mired in a rebelliousness of spirit that just wouldn't let me go, or I wouldn't let it go. I enjoyed being a little disdainful of my Christian brothers and sisters, was glad to be an "enlightened" follower of Christ. I was a Christian, for sure, and I wasn't doing a bunch of bad stuff. But in my heart, I was rebellious. And don't forget bitter. I was definitely bitter, especially at anyone who I thought had done me wrong. Let's just say that forgiveness and mercy were not my middle name.

So what changed for me? During one of the "storms" of my life, God finally had my full attention. I begged Him to tell me the other party was wrong. Nothing. I asked if I were wrong. Nothing. Finally, after months of this ongoing conversation between me and my Creator, I asked Him what He wanted to teach me. Never in my life have I had a clearer sense of the doors being blown off of the little house I'd built for myself. I dove into His word in a way I hadn't in the past. Don't get me wrong--I had always had a quiet time. I am, if nothing else, a very disciplined person. But suddenly I found myself hungering and thirsting for what He had to say to me personally--not anyone else--and I found He had a lot to say to me. About love. About forgiveness and mercy, even when nobody asks to be forgiven. About finding joy in spite of circumstances to the contrary. About not being guided by my emotions, but by His love for me and those around me. He had a lot to say, and it was all there--I just had to apply it to my own life.

You know what happened? Everything changed for me. Everything. I looked at my whole world in a different light, and suddenly, I found myself pulled toward international missions. Of course, I tried to put that out of my mind...but I obviously didn't succeed. Here I sit in my apartment in Moscow--a testimony to the power of God's word if you let it get ahold of your life. I will never be the same. Never. And even now, as we struggle to transition into our new life here, I find that God's word is my life raft every single morning. Maybe now more than ever. Never have I known a time when I felt more like I needed His wisdom and guidance--for everything from raising my children and loving my husband to being wise with our funds. He is there in every decision, and because of that, there is great peace.

Wherever you are around the world, whatever your circumstances, I challenge you to look in God's word for your every need. He is merciful, faithful, and true. As one who has tested Him again and again, I can testify to this. If you allow His word to soak in, if you take time to meditate on it and bask in it...your life will be forever changed, too. Blessings to you and yours!
His,
Kellye

No comments: