Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bearing one another's burdens


Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

My home church is reeling from the loss of a young lady who has been part of the church for many, many years. Her parents are pillars of the church. She has been there, as far as I know, for most, if not all, of her life. She died Saturday from injuries sustained in a car accident while she was driving back to college. How do people stand up under that kind of grief? A dear friend lost her husband a little over three years ago. She is my age, a widow with two young children. How does one stand up under that kind of loss? I received a call yesterday from one of the closest friends I have on earth, and she is struggling with grief over a loss, not of a person, but of a way of life. How do we hold up under heart-wrenching grief and mourning?

I'm no philosopher, but I think the answer is that we don't. I know that I am personally incapable of withstanding that kind of loss on my own. I can't hold up under the loss of people or of places or traditions precious to me under my own strength. Nor do I believe from looking at God's Word that He intended me to stand up under grief and loss on my own. In many ways, this blog is a way to let people who love me know what is going on in my life so that they can pray and help me bear those burdens. My friend who called was doing what is sound Biblically--she was asking a sister in Christ to help bear her burdens. My friend whose husband died, though she is a very private person, allowed people who loved her to step in and take care of some of that burden for her...and she did so with much grace. I fully believe the family who has lost this priceless child will allow their church family to surround them and hold them up during this time.

You know what isn't Biblical? It isn't Biblical to keep all of your burdens to yourself. For many years, I refused to allow anyone in enough to know what I was feeling and where I was hurting. I saw that as a sign of weakness, and if there's anything I don't want to be, it's weak. But what I've found as I've grown up in the last few years is that when Christ says that His strength is made perfect in my weakness, He isn't just saying that--it's true. When I am at my weakest, when I no longer seek to do things and handle things all alone...that's when He shows up and does something big in my life. I miss out on a whole lot of peace when I try to do it all on my own.

Well, it's time for me to run and exercise before I get the rest of the family up and going. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are bearing one another's burdens and fulfilling the law of Christ. And I don't know about you, but I'm going to spend a few more minutes today kissing and hugging my three kiddos and being thankful for them. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

p.s. The picture is the view I see each morning from my kitchen window.

1 comment:

"Miss" Clair said...

Thanks for sharing. You are such an encouragement. We are praying for you and your family!!:)