Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Loving the Psalms


Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8

I love the Psalms. I love them as a reader of great literature, for they are some of the most moving, intricately woven poems on earth. But I mostly love them as a person of faith. No matter where I am, no matter what I'm feeling, no matter my situation--there is a Psalm to fit every occasion. I just love them. I especially love this verse, for as I look out my kitchen window as I write this, I can see beautiful streaks of pink as the morning dawns. I am lifting up my soul, and the great beauty around me reminds me to Whom I am lifting my soul.

In my last post, I told you about our night with our "girls"--Joy, Tiffany, and Angie--who you see above. What wonderful fun they are, but how committed to the cause of Christ here in Russia. Imagine graduating from college and then deciding to go someplace completely foreign to you to work for almost no pay and learn a very hard language--all worlds away from the easier life you could have chosen. I'm not sure I could have done it. I have Marc and the kids--we are in this together. I love the bravery of these girls.

I don't have much time this morning, for Irina will arrive soon to grill me on dates. Honestly...I could grow gray hairs in the length of time it takes to say, "2007". Imagine saying "two thousand and seventh year," but with lots and lots and lots more syllables. It's awful. I feel stupid doing it. But as usual, God is teaching me something even through this. I don't have to be the smartest person in the room. I talk like a two-year-old...and Russians are actually okay with that, since they know how hard their language is. Is it possible that God is making a way for me to connect with people through my own lack of knowledge? Hmmm...He's used stranger things!

Well, I'd better run. Many of you emailed me about the map at the bottom of the page. Yep...it's pretty cool. And also really humbling. I have no clue why you'd want to read the ramblings of my brain, but I am thankful that you do. You minister to me in every email, in every comment, in every encouragement. And for those of you who are our mission friends around the world--your love and encouragement is often what keeps me going. I am a member of a pretty big family, and I'm honored that you would want to read what I have to say. Wherever you are in the world, I hope that your day is dawning with beautiful pink streaks, and that it doesn't take you five minutes to say the year. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

3 comments:

"Miss" Clair said...

Just a few reasons why I read your blog: #1 because I/we love you, 2. encouragement, 3. insight, 4. laughter, 5. amazement of what God is doing in your life and mine, 6. Amazement that you have a wonderful gift that I don't have (writing), 7. To remember God is working outside of Middleburg (way outside), 8. to know how to pray for you and me, 9. Reminds me of my mission field and where I am to serve Him daily, 10. People everywhere need the Lord -- These are just a few of the reasons I read your blog, so keep blogging!!:)
Love y'all!!

Anonymous said...

If I had ever met you, I'd be inclined to agree with every one of "miss" clair's reasons (listed in her comment) for reading your blog. As it is, I'm not even as gifted as she is at her #6... (writing), so I can't "wax eloquent" or whatever that idiom/phrase/thingy is. I do agree with #1 because you are a sister in Christ. I agree with #s: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (in the sense of where I am... I'm not in Middleburg), 8, 9, and 10.

All of that being said, your entry couldn't have been more timely in the sense that I'm "awarding" you the "Excellent Blog" award. Please come by my blog to see what I mean. :)

Hang in there... I'm sure 2007 and 2008 aren't the longest Russian words you'll ever learn! ;) (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Kellye Hooks said...

"miss" clair and hsb suzanne...what encouragement these messages were to me. Thank you so much for being faithful readers and faithful encouragers!