Friday, August 22, 2008

Going quiet

Hannah in her "Outrigger Island" gear. Between the folks at AGM and the box we received from the 5th and 6th graders at our home church, she had the full outfit.
John-John and Hannah with some of the things we received in a box from the 5th and 6th grade VBS class at FBC Middleburg, Florida. What treats for us!
I don't want to say the first day of school was tiring for John-John, but he did pass out on the couch at 6:30 and sleep until 6:45 the next morning. (On another note...look how big his feet are! If he grows into those paws, he's going to turn out to be a big man.)

But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the LORD with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about. Psalm 3:3-6

It's been several days since I wrote, and while I was busy with the start of school, I also sort of "went quiet." I don't know if you're familiar with that term, but when a submarine hasn't been heard from in a given amount of time, there's a chance they have gone quiet--stopped communication because an enemy is lurking nearby. I went quiet. And while I cannot go into detail in this very public forum, I can say that we ran into significant problems involving our documents, and there was a real possibility that we would be forced to leave the country for an unknown period of time. I am so thrilled to report to you that those issues have been resolved, we have important documents in our hands once again, and we are cleared to stay in Russia until the end of our term. Or at least that's what we think. It could all change tomorrow, because that's how things are here. But Marc and I deemed yesterday the best day ever (we even sang the song, I think from SpongeBob), because we received our documents, we could drive our car again, we got some groceries, and we picked up three packages at the office. On top of that, it was chicken fajita night, and we started the Heroes marathon (we haven't seem any of the second season, yet, so don't spoil it for me. It's my favorite show.), and every single thing I ordered with my birthday money fit perfectly. Honestly, can you imagine a better day?

Here's the really big news, though. As we went through the last two weeks in this state of total upheaval, the obvious question became where will we go if they have to get us out of the country? Every idea that was offered was pretty enticing, frankly. Beautiful places in our region that are part of the EU, and so are easier to get into and out of than Russia. Places where we have beloved friends we would love to be near. Places where almost everybody speaks English. So what is the big news about that? We were absolutely heartbroken at the prospect of leaving Moscow. Three months ago--for us, the 8th month on the field was by far the hardest--we would have given anything to be somewhere else. But something has happened. Something amazing. Something we really hadn't known until this time of trouble hit. We don't want to leave Russia. Our life is here. Our home is here. We are finally comfortable (to some extent) in this culture and with this language. We love our Russian friends so much. God has called us here, to this megacity with its history and beauty and darkness. There simply is no place else we want to be.

I am the first one up in my house every morning. I get the pleasure of watching the sun rise and shine against the buildings outside my kitchen window...an absolutely beautiful sight. And lately, as I hang my head out the window and gaze at the city around me, here has been my prayer: Take it all, Lord. Claim every person within my sight for Yourself. And use me to do it. I'm not sure when that became my prayer. It happened without my really noticing it. But at some point, I went from praying for survival to praying for God to come in and take the city He has given me to love. My heart aches for this place and these people. And the threat of having to leave, possibly for a long time, was a tool God used to make me aware of the growing love I have for that (and those) to which He has called me.

Well, it's 9 am here, and it's time for me to get moving. There is a lot to be done today, and a good bit of it needs to be done by me. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are hungry to see the people God has given you to love come to know Him, and that all of your documents are in order, too. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

1 comment:

Shelli said...

That IS the best day ever. It seemed like something was up, but so glad that God is keeping you where you are for now. Take it all--you hit the nail on the head sistah.

btw-marshmallows, cheez-its and kool-aid PLUS Heroes? You are SO set baby.