Friday, August 8, 2008

Jesus is taking up all the room in there

I think this is hysterical...I like that John-John is giving me that goofy grin, and the hawk is looking at him with great suspicion. Cracks me up.
My little man and little lady in front of the little man/little lady statue. This was Andreevsky Spusk, a long, tall hill that we climbed on my birthday.
Tserkov Andreevsky...our St. Andrew's church. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, and well worth the climb to see it.
My little man with his mommy. We look sweaty and awful because it was a thousand degrees outside.
The view as we left Kiev on the train home. A beautiful city, and fun to explore...but we were glad to be going home to Moscow.

Like an open book you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, the days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day. Psalm 139 (The Message)

We are headed out today for our annual general meeting (AGM), so this will be brief. In fact, Marc has already left with sound/media equipment. I have to be honest...I'm not looking forward to AGM. When we are all together, Teri's absence (and Ed's and the girls') will be blatant. Sarah Beth dreaded coming back to Moscow for the same reason. In Budapest and Kiev, Aunt Teri shouldn't have been there, so it was easier to deal with her death. In Moscow, we're supposed to be having dinner and playing cards on Wednesdays. Her absence is clearer here. I know AGM will likely be wonderful, and I'll come back with great stories of renewal and revival...but on this side of it, I'm not cherishing the idea of it. Make sense?

I've thought a lot lately about what God is doing here. There is so much going on--crisis after crisis after crisis, visa problems all over the field, folks being transferred or leaving the field, Teri's death--it's easy to think that God has turned His back on Russia and everyone in it. But I know that is not true. I must confess, I see no easy days ahead. More and more and more, the government is making its disdain for protestant/evangelical organizations known. (I cut out a rather long paragraph on this from yesterday's blog, thinking better of my little rant in such a public forum.) Life here is difficult. Where is He in all of this?

He's here. I keep coming back to something we were told at FPO. All church planting movements have two things in common that happen right before they start. First, there is a mighty movement of prayer on behalf of that place. Second, missionaries and believers suffer. I don't know what He's doing. I miss my friend. I want her back. I want visas to be easier to obtain. I want the school where I work to be left alone. But above and beyond all of those things, the desire of my heart is to see Russians come to know Jesus. And let me say this--if a church planting movement broke out in the largest nation on earth...Eastern Europe and all those former Soviet satellites would come with it. Think what would happen in this region of the world if a mighty wind of God moved across this vast place. I'm longing for it. I want to be here to see it. I'm praying for it every morning. And my precious friend, whom I miss so much? It was the desire of her heart to see the nation she loved come to God. I have to believe that she has already been to the throne and petitioned the Father for the salvation of her beloved Russia. So I don't know what He's doing, but I know He's doing something. And again, I'm on a need-to-know basis, and I don't need to know right now. But I'm watching. And I'm praying.

Well, there are hungry folks waiting for biscuits to be made, so I'd better run. There is a great deal to do before we trek to the metro this afternoon. Here's a little added bonus for you: when we were in Kiev, Hannah and John-John were discussing Sponge Bob, which John-John loves. So Hannah said, "John-John, you love Sponge Bob so much, you must have him in your heart." John-John replied, "Hannah, don't be silly. Jesus is in there, and He's taking up all the room." I almost spit my Diet Coke all the way across the room, I laughed so hard. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are watching and praying for the people God has given you to love, and that Jesus is in your heart and taking up all the room in there. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

out of the mouths of babes.

k beamish

Shelli said...

John-John,
Jesus takes up all the room in my heart too, but sometimes I think Spongebob is sitting in his lap.
:)

Tiffany said...

Too funny! I love it when they say something like that because then you know they understand! AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

You know I always say that John is a devotional book in the works. God's got great things for him to do and he is on the way!! love, B.H.