Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving is a choice

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Happy Thanksgiving! Most of you are still asleep, because it's just midnight in the States, but I have been up for a while, making rolls, boiling potatoes for mashing, and spending quiet time with the Lord (and with Starbucks...which is heavenly). I can't think of a better way to start this Thanksgiving, can you? We will spend our Thanksgiving with the Tarleton's and about thirty other people. YIKES! That's a lot of folks in one apartment. But it will be fun to be together, and my family is really looking forward to it.

As I read my Bible this morning, it occurred to me that being thankful is a choice, and not just today, when it's expected, but every day in every thing. It's a choice that can be hard for me. Many days, it's a whole lot easier to just concentrate on what is hard or bad about life. But when I take the time to really look at my life, in spite of the hardships of living far from home, I find that I am so much more content. So here are some things I am especially thankful for this Thanksgiving, and every other day, too:
  • our partner churches, who love us and pray for us continually
  • facebook, which keeps me connected to people I love from all over the world
  • teaching, which provides an outlet for me to feel successful and active in ministry
  • my students, who make me laugh and are just generally wonderful people
  • growing friendships here in Moscow
  • beloved friends around the world
  • our cat, Notchka, who is a big, silly goober, but keeps us laughing
  • iTunes, which lets us download movies and music that make life fun (Get Smart last night--what a hoot!)
  • boxes from the States, full of goodies and treats that we can't get here
  • Marc's job, which he loves so much
  • Tim, Marc's traveling partner, who Marc also loves so much
  • Ed, our boss here, who has a passion and vision for this giant place
  • snow, which makes the gray a little bit lighter (it's pouring snow again, by the way)
  • my new snow boots, which are comfortable, warm, and have great tread on the bottom!
  • my home, which is big enough to house lots of people
  • the company we work for, which takes unbelievably good care of us
  • my parents, who are ridiculously wonderful and love us so much
  • my sister, Kay, who is such an enthusiastic person, and who puts her all into everything she does, including loving her family far from home
  • my sister, Cathy, who is kind and generous and loving, and everything you can imagine or want in a big sister
  • Sarah Beth, who is growing into a tremendous young woman, full of love for Christ and her fellow man
  • Hannah, who is working so hard to live here and choose happiness
  • John-John, who makes sure life is never, ever boring or dull
  • Marc, who treats me like a queen
  • my Jesus, who has become more real to me in the last year, who walks with me every day, who loves me even when I am immensely unlovable, who died so I might live
Well, folks are stirring here and there are potatoes to mash, so I should run. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are thankful for the many gifts God has given you, and that your husband is going to drive you to the metro so you don't have to carry all the Thanksgiving food for a mile. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Have a very blessed day!!! and stay warm.

Karen B

Anonymous said...

I am thankful there are people like you who will go where God calls them, even when it isn't easy. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kay

Anonymous said...

We love you so much. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Cathy