Monday, October 22, 2012

Being the Body

So what does one do while awaiting word from a distant land? One studies German, that's what. :)

This kid is growing like a weed. Where did our little boy go?

Beautiful flowers from a friend helped me through Friday.
Let love of the brethren continue. Hebrews 13:1

It's a FOOOOOOGGGGGGYYYYYY morning in Vienna. I mean foggy foggy. Not just a little. You can't see buildings, it's so foggy. Vienna sits kind of in a bowl, surrounded by hills (not mountains--don't make that mistake. Austrians will look very confused if you talk about the mountains around Vienna, even if you are from Florida, the flattest place on the planet), and when it's foggy, which it is fairly often this time of year, it does not do it half-way. It goes full out in the fogginess. That, by the way, is related to absolutely nothing in this post--just my little comment on how foggy it is in Vienna. :) Some of you who read this blog are people who believe what I believe and think like I think. Some of you, however, are not. You are former students or colleagues or friends I've amassed over the years, bright, wonderful parts of my life, but you would not count yourselves as followers of Jesus Christ. The common complaint I hear from you is that when you look at Christians, you are not impressed. We don't treat each other well. We eat our young, so to speak, pushing people out of their new-found faith by insisting that they wear certain things or prove their salvation. We are hypocrites. We can't take a joke. We are judgmental and awful, and we are an unappealing group, taken as a whole. (And you know, of course, my answer, because I've given it to many of you individually over the years--follow Jesus, not His followers, because we are a messed up bunch. He, however, is spectacular.) I know the arguments against being a Christian. I also know that from the outside, many of those things appear to be absolutely true. We have often forgotten the true test of Christianity--love. Love. Love. Love. We hear it again and again from Jesus, from His first followers...love each other. It is our love that draws others to Him. It's just that sometimes, we forget and mess up and don't love. We don't love each other. We don't love those who don't believe. We don't love Him.

But let me give a plug for Jesus' followers. While it's true that we are messed up and goofy and often hateful...sometimes we show up and act exactly like we're supposed to--in love. It's no secret, friends, that this past week has been long and hard. Awful. It's been awful. I have been vague about details, because this is a public forum, and it's my parents' decision as to what they tell and don't. But it was not a great prognosis a month ago. Surgery was too risky, too dangerous. Then a second opinion said it was doable, though still risky and dangerous. It's been stressful for my sisters in the States, stressful for my kids, stressful for our parents...stressful. And to be a continent away...unspeakably awful. To add insult to injury, Marc was in Prague all week. (A trip planned long before the surgery, so nothing to be done about it.) So there I sat on Friday, waiting for news, waiting to hear something...alone. (If you don't think I was holding a pity party about being alone, you give me credit for more maturity than I deserve!) But you know what? I wasn't alone at all. (Of course, I had Jesus. I know. I'm talking about Christians here, though.) Messages started arriving Thursday from around the world. (I counted five continents.) A friend showed up with fresh banana bread and a beautiful bouquet. I talked to my sisters and parents before and during the surgery. Friends showed up to sit with my Mom and sister. And then we all rejoiced when the news was good--no organs removed or even touched, a tumor gone, the surgery better than had been hoped for.

You're thinking to yourself that all people, Christians or not, are kind in the midst of a crisis. Perhaps that's true. But this morning, a friend is going with Marc to the doctor, just in case the doctor doesn't speak English and Marc's German isn't good enough, something he volunteered to do. Yesterday, at our sweet Austrian church that we fall a little more in love with every week, a lady told me after a conversation explaining who we are and why we're there (and why our German is so...unusual), that she appreciated that we could live in Vienna without ever speaking German, because so many people here speak English, but we were learning German anyway. What an encouragement! People stopped to speak to me. John had a great Sunday School class, where they never seem irritated that they have to slow down for him. Hannah stayed after because the youth were putting together some praise music, and they wanted her to stay and sing with them. They aren't just nice. We're theirs. We belong there. Not because we are particularly wonderful, or because they are just so nice, but because we all recognize that we are God's family--no matter what language we speak. These are the ties that bind. This common love for the Savior, this common understanding that we are sinners saved by incredible, overwhelming, unspeakable grace...this gives us a love for one another that cannot be understood or explained outside of the massive love our Father has for us.

You know why Jesus and Paul and Peter and James all reminded us about loving each other, loving the brethren or the brotherhood? Because they knew how awful people can be. They knew it was sometimes hard to love each other. They knew that we would be stinky and rotten a lot, that we would feel that we had the right to tear each other apart in the name of "discipline." They knew, because people are people are people, and apart from Christ, we're all pretty stinky. And trust me--be around His church for any amount of time, and someone will hurt your feelings, will say something just awful to you that makes you want to scream, will look you up and down and find you wanting. But that's not Jesus--that's human nature in all its "glory." When we allow Jesus to really inhabit our lives in a significant way, when we stop living for us and live for Him, instead, when we give up our "rights" for His glory and our good...when we actually function as the Body of Christ...it's a beautiful thing. Gorgeous to see. Humbling to behold. And if that isn't an encouragement to you on a foggy, autumn morning, then you just don't want to be encouraged.

Well, time to walk and study German and do some other writing and just generally get moving on this Monday morning. Wherever you are in the world...thank you, thank you, thank you for praying for me, my sisters, and my parents. I smile upon every remembrance of each of you. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

4 comments:

Sue B. said...

You are a Godsend, I truly believe that. For I am straddling the line of believer/unbeliever. And your post is humble, honest and full of love. It gives me pause to read your words and hear your heart speak so elloquently of God and our humanness. Thank you. I will have to pray on what moved me most.

Sue B. said...

Oh by the way, this is Sue Ballew, I forgot my Blogger ID doesn't truly identify me. (such a goof I am) :0

Kellye Hooks said...

You know, Sue, I bet that's a hard place to be...straddling that line. I know for sure that the best thing I ever did in my life--bar none--was to allow Jesus to come in and be my life. If you ever want to talk about it...you know how to reach me. In the meantime, I'll sure be praying for you, because that is a big step, I know.

Sue B. said...

Thank you, I needed to hear that.