Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. "Blessed be Your Name"

"Mom, you know what I'm going to do when I get home?"
"No, John. What?"
"I'm going to flolick."
"Excuse me?"
"I'm going to flolick. You know, Mom. Like deers do."
"Do you mean 'frolic'?"
"That's what I said. Flolick."
--Conversation with John-John on the way home from P.E. yesterday

This morning, I have exercised, showered, answered some email, spent time with God, made applesauce muffins (which are baking and smell unbelievable) and had my first cup of coffee (I am in the middle of my second). I thought I would take a couple of minutes and write a quick blog to let you know how things are here in Moscow. Because I have had a good morning and been thinking about a lot of ways God is at work here, I thought it might be interesting to look at some things/people I'm really thankful for today. So here goes:
  • My husband is number one on any list of blessings. Loving, kind, a heart like His...what is there not to love about this guy? (He also takes care of expense reports and paying bills...things I do not want to do.) Talented, smart, funny...proof on a daily basis that a loving God is nuts about me. You know all those "submission" sermons that make women nutso and defensive? Not an issue in my house. Know why? Marc embodies being a servant leader. I keep thinking I can't love him any more than I already do...and he just keeps getting better and better and proving me wrong.
  • I have the most incredible family on earth. You think it's yours, but you don't know mine. Unbelievably supportive, encouraging, funny...I'm completely in love with them. My mom was bald from chemo when we announced we were moving halfway around the world. Did my parents for one moment complain or feel sorry for themselves? Nope. They realized that this call to missions is fruit laid at the feet of their lives, lives lived for a big, giant God. You know what my sisters said when I made the big announcement? "It's about time." They have embraced our call like it's their own. And it is.
  • My kids are turning into people I like. Who knew that could happen?
  • I have made some friends here on the field. It's hard--a giant city with millions of people and children to raise does not make for lots of free time spent with friends. But little by little, God is faithful to grant me moments to spend with people I really care about.
  • I have an unbelievable friend in Brazil. I have great friends in the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, and Greece. These are people who love me and support me and encourage me. I hope in some small way that I do the same for them.
  • I work for a great company. The IMB could not be better to us. Honestly. There are some policies that I don't necessarily agree with, but I am so confident in the leadership of the IMB that those things are small and don't really mean much. Southern Baptists do a good job of taking care of us. As the cost of living rises in Russia (and elsewhere), we are so thankful for an organization that takes care of our needs and doesn't force us to raise money on our own.
  • The leadership on the Russia field (and for all of CEE) is made up of godly, wonderful men. If you could listen to them speak, you would walk away glad you had been in the room. They aren't perfect, but they are honestly listening and doing what God tells them. I am confident in their leadership.
  • Prayer partners and partner churches are incredibly faithful to pray for us and keep others updated on what's happening here on the field.
  • Our language teacher is wonderful.
  • The sun is shining. (literally)
  • God is at work in our English club.
  • God is here with us. Daily, He shows up in ways we could not have imagined or predicted.
That's a lot to be thankful for, and that isn't even half the list of things I could list. Unbelievable the way God is blessing us here. If you look around, I bet your list could go on forever, too. My prayer is that wherever you are in the world, your list of thanksgiving is ten feet long, and that you have some time to "flolick" today. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: