Sunday, April 6, 2008

Conviction, confession--and a guinea pig allergy

So Israel set out with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, "Jacob, Jacob." And he said, "Here I am." He said, "I am God, the God of your father; do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you a great nation there. I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will close your eyes." Genesis 46:1-4

This was not a very good weekend in many, many ways. First of all, Marc and I are once again struggling with head colds/sinus infections (and maybe an allergy to the guinea pig we're babysitting?), which is just annoying (the colds, not the pig--it pretty much just stares at us and eats). It was a gorgeous weekend, with temperatures in the 60s, and we couldn't even get out in it because we were so miserable. So that was stinky. Staying in the apartment makes the whole family grouchy (we can't just send our kids outside to play like we would at home), so that was stinky. And I have a list of grievances about life on the field, things that seem unfair to me. I mean, we've given up our whole lives to be here, right? So why are my two closest friends thousands of miles away? (One in Prague and one in Brazil) I spent time on the phone with my friend in Brazil yesterday, and we both complained about the frustrations of the field (which is healthy--you need somebody to vent with, or the frustration is explosive) and the things that just drive us crazy. Then Marc and I had a long conversation in the kitchen about next term--six months in, and we're thinking of the ways to get out of Russia but not have to learn another language. There are Russian speakers in lots of places, right?

At 7, we tuned in to our Sunday night church, which we watch live on the Internet. Since our church in Florida doesn't do that, we watch Southern Hills Baptist Church in OKC. We love their pastor, the music, everything...it renews our soul each week to listen to a sermon in English. (Our church time in our church here is generally taken up with trying to figure out which book of the Bible the sermon is from.) This week, he continued a series on the life of Joseph, but this week's focus was Jacob, and the text was the verses above. The sermon was entitled (and I'm not even kidding), "When you're facing a life-changing move." I'm serious. When he started, Marc and I looked across the room at one another and started laughing. It went downhill from there. It was literally like the pastor had been listening to us all weekend. By the end of the sermon, we were laughing/crying, and praying for forgiveness. I had to spend some substantial time this morning with the Father, making a list of the ways in which my attitude has been, well...stinky.

So why do I tell you this? After all, it would be much better for my ego and pride if you thought I never struggled with anything here. But when I started this blog, my whole purpose was to share our path to missions and our life as missionaries. I want you to be encouraged. I want you to think I'm a good person and a good missionary. I want you to feel good about your Cooperative Program dollars supporting us here (if you're Southern Baptist, of course). But I also want to be honest and transparent. Life here in Russia (like any mission field) is hard. They do not easily accept outsiders. The people can be very hard to love. The weather stinks much of the time. I have friends on the field, a couple I would even call close, but my very best friend, the one I share everything with, is in Brazil, and I miss her terribly. I would love to think that someday our families will serve close to one another, but that is likely never to happen. They are called to South America. We are called to Eastern Europe. It's hard. Life here can be very lonely.

I guess the good news in all of this is that with all of that said, God still has a plan and a purpose. I'm sure years from now I will look back on this first year on the field and laugh at some of the things I got upset over, things that don't really matter much at all in the end. I'm sure I will be grateful that God gave me someone to be close to, even if she is in Brazil. But I know this for sure--when I look back on this first year on the field, I will definitely be able to give testimony to the ways, big and small, God was at work in my life amidst the trials and loneliness. Until then, I'm going to trust that He knows what He's doing, He has a plan, and that I'm a part of that plan. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you know that you are a part of His plan, too, and that the guinea pig you're babysitting isn't making you sneeze. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kellye:
I wanted to (hopefully) send you some encouragement. I read your blog everyday (well, I check it everyday, read it when you post) and it has been such an encouragement to me. You are not alone in your struggles. So often when you write about a topic it closely mimics what I am dealing with (and I am in FL with all the conveniences that are missing in Russia)! I so want to be perfect at everything and find I am not perfect at anything. I am trying to embrace my imperfections and take pleasure in the blessings. Sometimes I just have to look a little harder (AND with stronger prescription lenses as my sight is decreasing as my age increases).

My step-son told me the other day he didn't want to be my step-son anymore, he wanted to be my half-son because it sounds like we're more related. Simple words from a ten year old that made my heart happy. Little things like that make all that I've gone through -- moving to FL from AL (THE Holy Land), leaving a very sucessful career to be a full-time step-mom, leaving my beautifully restored house in the historic district in Athens, AL --- so, so, so worth it.

I was priviledged to go to Beth Moore's conference here in Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago and she said we need to leave what's behind, behind. Not the stuff that we need to DEAL (deal with it, then more on) with but the other stuff. Like the stuff I had been holding onto that seemed to make me feel important. The life I left in AL. It doesn't matter that I had a successful career or the cutest house, what matters is that I am doing the will of God and that includes being a full-time step-mom to 2 kids who don't always appreciate the sacrifice I've made for them. Maybe someday they will, maybe not. I know, though, in my heart, that God appreciates what I do for them. As I know, that God appreciates what you and Marc and your kids are doing. You never know who will be impacted by the sacrifices that you have made. Your name comes up so often in conversation around here. Even though you are in Russia you are making a difference here. That's awesome.

With love,
Terri Jo Perry

Anonymous said...

Kellye:

I, too, have been blessed by your blogs from the very beginning...you may not always see the full affect your life has on others...in Russia or here at home.

The Lord has been encouraging me lately as I struggle to leave behind the blessing of being a stay at home Mom. Through no fault of ours, I am having to return to work.

When the cloud moves...you (I) move.

When I was pouring my heart out to Lord about this situation he showed me a scripture that I had marked in my Bible from one of Pastor Alan's sermons...

I hope it encourages you, too.

2 Chronicles 15:7
"But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded."

I think in my personal situation he is telling me that he sees all of the hard work that I have done as a homemaker...it hasn't gone unnoticed. He will make a way for me to work and still be the Mom I need to be.

Continuing to pray for all of you...

In His love,
A sister in Christ