Saturday, April 26, 2008

Claiming our inheritance

Hannah on the new scooter. Yesterday was so beautiful, she and John went outside with Daddy and played for a while. The scooter is a perfect toy, because unlike most apartments here, there is no park around our building because of construction.
We received a box this week from Mimi and Poppy (my parents). In it was this battery-operated bubble blower for John-John. He really enjoyed it. (And look! Just a windbreaker on at 5 in the afternoon!)
I know you must get tired of the view out my kitchen window, but it was particularly spectacular last night, so I had to share the picture I took of it.

Ask of me, and I will surely give you the nations as your inheritance, and the very ends of the earth as your possession. Psalm 2:8

This is a verse I used to twist to mean something other than what it means here. I used to think this meant that whatever I asked of Him, He would give to me. As I get to know Him better, I see more and more that this verse is all about asking Him for the things that count. I don't know about you, but I have sometimes (often?) not asked Him for the things that matter to Him. I have recently been thinking about this as I have changed some things about my quiet time. Since I have been here, I have asked for peace in our house, happiness for our children, success with the language, friendships that matter. I am not saying that any of those are bad things, and they are certainly things that I think we should desire. More and more, though, especially as I just immerse myself in His word and use it during my time of prayer each morning, I find that the things I ask for and about have less to do with me and more to do with Him. Instead of peace and happiness, I am asking Him to help me learn what He's teaching. Instead of happiness for our children, I am asking Him to fill them with holiness. Instead of success with the language, I am asking Him to teach me and stretch me as I struggle. Instead of friendships, I am asking Him to be my heart's closest friend. Instead of praying for how I feel about this city, I am asking Him, pleading with Him to claim it, every inch, every person, for Himself. I am here to claim the inheritance He has promised. The ends of the earth for me are filled with buses and skyscrapers and millions of people. The ends of the earth for some of my friends around the world are full of rivers and bugs and snakes and tribes that don't know Him. But He has promised, and we are adamant about believing that promise. For what other reason would we leave home and family if not because our great God promised us He would glorify Himself in our presence by claiming the ends of the earth as His own?

Today is Easter in Russia. We are excited to go to church and listen to a traditional Easter sermon. It will look different than America, and we will not hunt eggs or talk about the Easter bunny, but I can guarantee you this--whether it's today or March 23rd, the church of the risen Savior agrees on this...that Christ has regarded our helpless estate and has shed His own blood for our souls. I have practiced the traditional Russian greeting, which is the same basic greeting as in America--He is risen. He is risen indeed. I have a copy of the songs we will sing, thanks to my precious friend, Anya. I may not have new shoes or a new hat, but I think I am ready for Russian Easter.

Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you are claiming your inheritance in your neighborhood, your school, your workplace--and that you know the Easter greeting in whatever language you are learning. христос воскрес! воистину воскрес! Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: