Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A few words for "my" seniors

Some of my AICE seniors from Fleming Island High School met me here in Vienna.
I thank my God every time I remember you. Philippians 1:3

I am once again sidelined by knee pain--propped up on the couch comforting myself with a pumpkin spice latte--after an evening that will, in a few years, be hysterically funny. Suffice to say that a five mile hike through downtown Vienna when you're trying to recover from a knee injury does not help said injury. Pray for poor John--he was my traveling companion on this particular quest, and he's probably going to need years of therapy to recover. Not really, because he's John, and he's a super happy, easy kid, but bless his heart. And yes, eventually I am going to have to call the doctor. I've obviously really done something to the knee. Urgh.

So here I sit, on a day I was supposed to be meeting some ladies for coffee. (One of the ladies is sick and cancelled, or I would have limped my way pathetically to the center to meet them.) I've been a bit blue  the last two days, and I really couldn't put my finger on it. After all, we had what was probably the best weekend we have had since coming to Vienna last weekend. Friends, celebrations, more new friends, The Avengers (in English!), followed by McDonald's and Starbucks...we honestly could not have had a better three-day weekend. So why was yesterday so awful and blue? And then, thinking my way through Facebook posts and sweet notes from people I love, I realized the problem. My kids are graduating. And I'm not there.

Last year, my former boss was kind enough to hire me for the year I was in the States to teach. He knew I wasn't staying, and he chose to hire me, anyway. It was such a kind thing to do.  I taught tenth graders and AICE eleventh graders. If you aren't familiar with AICE, it's a program out of the University of Cambridge, and it's based on the British education system. It's an advanced program, with students taking difficult exams in nearly every subject in order to quality for the AICE diploma. Think of it as being an AP student in all subjects. I had 66 kids in three classes, and I really enjoyed teaching them. I've gotten several sweet notes in the last week (thank you so much!) from some of them. I love any note that begins with Dear Mrs. Hooks, because I know that it's from someone I've taught. And I truly love teenagers and teaching and schools. I'm passionate about my subject, but I'm far more passionate about kids. It's made my life as an adult so full of joy. And I'm missing their graduation. So, here are the things I'd say to you guys if I could sit with you face to face:
  • Don't be ashamed of being smart, but don't think you're the smartest person in the room, either: as I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate that in my area, I have some gifts, but I'm basically a complete idiot in other areas. It balances my view of the world. You are all bright, gifted, talented and wonderful. But so are a lot of people. Appreciate your own gifts, but appreciate the gifts of others, too.
  • Kindness matters: I have sometimes regretted the snarky, sarcastic comment. I have never regretted being kind. And I'll be honest--those moments of kindness have gotten me farther in life than the snarky ones have. Some of you are truly kind, gentle souls. Embrace it. 
  • Choose your career carefully: I have not made a ton of money as a teacher, but I've enjoyed every second of it. I've lived a life full of joy and happiness because I got to spend it with wonderful people like you. There's something to be said for living a life of service to humanity. There's also nothing wrong with being wealthy. I'm just saying that if you can manage both...that would be pretty sweet.
  • Choose your friends carefully: You guys have been joined at the hip with each other since freshman year. You've made incredible friendships. Don't take them for granted. As you go out into a larger world, choose the people you invest your life in carefully. There are people who will want you in their lives for less than stellar reasons. Avoid them. You have too much to offer to waste your time on people who aren't going to enrich your life as you enrich theirs. 
  • If you choose a spouse, choose as carefully as possible: This is a giant, huge, life-changing decision. I almost married the wrong guy. That thing in your gut that says something isn't quite right--listen to it. I did, and I married the right guy in the end. And you know what? Except for Jesus, the best decision I ever made. He has enriched my life in a thousand ways, taken me away from my books into the real world, and led me on the grandest adventure I can imagine. Plus, he's cute, so I double-scored. :) The right spouse makes life sweet--not easy, but sweet. The wrong spouse makes life a nightmare. Choose wisely.
  • Have a plan, but listen to your heart: A plan is good. You have to know that anybody who was as intent on having her stapler at a 90 degree angle as I was had to be a plan kind of gal. But sometimes opportunities present themselves out of nowhere, and they are the road less traveled that Frost wrote about. Fleming Island High was that fork in the road for me. I had a plan. My plan changed. And it was the best decision I could have made, because I loved working at Fleming Island High. And I loved being your teacher. But if I'd stuck with my plan, I'd never have experienced that joy.
  • Give faith a chance: I know, I know. You knew I would come to it eventually. I can't help it--I'm just a Jesus girl. :) Sometimes, in academia we think that you have to be an academic or a person of faith. I don't believe that in the least. I've lived the life of both and found them to mesh well together. Be an expert in your field. Be a doctor or lawyer or teacher or researcher or housewife. But give Jesus a chance. Read the Bible. See who He really is. Don't write off Jesus because sometimes those of us who follow Him are just disasters. We're human and full of flaws, to say the least. But choosing to follow Him--even across the world--has been the best decision of my life. I know how much He loves you. And I know He has an incredible plan for your life, just like He has an incredible plan for mine. He's worth the time to get to know, I promise. 
If I were there Friday night, I'd hug you and take pictures with you in the cafeteria. I'd help you get your stoles adjusted, bobby pin your caps so they sat right, and smile as you marched out. Then, as you got your diplomas, I would cry. Like a baby. Because I'm so incredibly proud of you. You are wonderful, smart, kind, generous people, and the world is about to be better because you'll be out in it. One of the great joys of my time in the States was being your teacher. Thank you for sharing your lives with me, even from far away. I love each and every one of you so much. Godspeed, sweet friends.

His,
Kellye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.

Thanks a lot!

Look at my weblog ... Click This Link