Thursday, May 29, 2008

Numbering my days



Who understands the power of Your anger and Your fury, according to the fear that is due You? So teach us to number our days, that we might present to You a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:11-12

"Your primary task is to seek God. He knows how to reach your people group." Jerry Rankin

I was reminded again yesterday that time is flying by in the lives of my children. Yesterday, Hannah participated in the fifth grade promotion ceremony. Mr. Hays, the teacher in the video above, was gracious enough to allow Hannah to come and be a part of the class she will be in full-time next year. He had such nice things to say about Han, as you can hear in the video, but the most profound moment came after he was done. Hannah sat down, I put away the video camera, and my friend, Frances, said, "That's the real Hannah, Kellye." It's hard, isn't it, to view your children objectively. In our situation, we are on top of each other, irritating one another, all day long. It's hard to always remember that Hannah has a beautiful smile and a soul that is filled with gentleness. It's hard to appreciate Sarah Beth's sense of individuality. It's hard to love John's love for all of God's "little guys." It's hard because all of that stuff is there amidst the arguing, the calling of names (Marc and I try to not do that, but...:o), the leaving of wet towels everywhere (did my kids always do that, or do I just notice it more now?), the whining and complaining about taking out the trash. So God gives us these moments, when we get to see our children through the eyes of others and appreciate who they are becoming while we are concentrating on the minutiae. The volunteer team from U of Mobile did that for me with Sarah Beth. She went everywhere with them, translating and helping them order food, talking to people at concerts, walking miles to just be there and help with what she could. As I watched the team interact with her, it struck me that Sarah Beth gets it. She understands what we're doing here. She gets the idea of creating places where we can meet people where they are. I watched her in English Club last night, participating in a group, laughing and joking with our students, and I appreciated, again, that her life has real meaning here. She's not just another teenager doing teenager things, though those things are fun and she enjoys them, too. Somewhere along the way, my kids have turned into the best missionaries I know.

Sometimes, I do not number my days correctly. I am thinking about yesterday, or last year, or three years from now when we're on Stateside. But today, this moment, is the heart of what God has for me right now. Whatever today holds--a language lesson, math and science tests for Han and S.B., helping with Hinkson's graduation this afternoon, a sleepover at our house tonight--is full of the things God has for me in this season of life. I can't tell you what will happen tomorrow, or next month, or next year. I can tell you what our plans are, but I don't know what God's plans are. Maybe He tells you the five-year-plan ahead of time, but He doesn't tell me ahead of time. I usually get a day at a time, and that's it. So in order to number my days correctly, in order to present a heart of wisdom to my Maker, today is where I need to be. Not in yesterday's pain, yesterday's joy, not in the States at some point in the future, not anywhere but here.

I'm so proud of my kids. I know you likely get sick of hearing about them, but I have to tell you that they are the most amazing thing I have ever done. I have taught lots of students over the years, had some nice stuff said about me as a teacher, even received some awards and degrees. None of that can compare to the joy of watching my kids turn into the people God created them to be. What an honor and a privilege. Plus, they're really pretty fun. Wherever you are in the world, I pray that you have the chance to see your children through the eyes of someone else, and that you have some Zicam on hand for your headcold. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kellye, As I get older and wonder if I could be doing more than I am, I realize that my days are numbered (as are everyones). Vicki Douglass gave me a verse that Brother Alan had used and I took it for my own. Proverbs 16:9 - "In his heart, a man plans his course but the Lord determines his steps." So I am planning those next 15 quilts, knowing that God may direct me elsewhere.:D I love your blogs. Mom

Anonymous said...

Don't stop writing about your kids! I love reading it. I've been thinking about them often lately. They're old enough that they definitely feel the sacrifice of what your family has been called to do. Their willingness to say yes to God is no less important than yours. I LOVE it that she got an award for gentleness. What a quality to be known for!

I'm praying for you and your whole family, Kellye.