Thursday, July 12, 2007

Last things

Before the throne of God above, I have a strong and perfect plea, a great High Priest whose name is Love, who ever lives and pleads for me. My name is graven on His hands, my name is written on His heart. I know that while in heaven He stands, no tongue can bid me thence depart. "Before the throne of God above"

Last night was my last choir rehearsal and praise team practice, so I have been thinking this morning about what that part of our church has meant to me over the years. When we came to FBCMiddleburg, my intention was to sit on the back row and never, ever sing in the choir. I didn't want anyone to know me. But when I saw Jonathan for the first time, and I saw that great big, giant heart for God in him as he sang...it was all over for me. I knew that I had to lead worship with that guy. And I was right, because God has worked miracles in my life through the worship ministry. Whether it was Passion Play or a Christmas program or just going to practice every week...you all in the worship ministry have been God's messengers for us many times. You are appreciated and loved, and I will continue to pray that God works blessings all over you. (And now Janet will have to behave, because I am no longer there to be just awful with. :o))

The quote above is from a song Jonathan and I are singing together Sunday night. It is one of my all-time favorite songs, especially this first verse. My favorite part of the verse is the reference to Isaiah 49:16, "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands..." Isn't that the best thing ever? The God of Everything has my name (and yours!) engraved on His hands. It's not written in ink my friends--no accidentally washing it off--it is there for good. I love it. What peace and joy and comfort it is to know that at any given moment He is looking at my name written in the palm of His mighty hand, where I am forever held. Big stuff.

Sunday morning, the choir is singing, "On Mountains High," and I am singing the solo. I love this song so much, not because it's particularly easy or anything like that, but because I learned it in Russia. When I left in March for St. Petersburg, Jonathan sent me with instructions to learn the song, so I listened to it again and again on my iPod. Standing in the little kitchen of the apartment we lived in while there, I watched the sun come up over the apartment building across the courtyard, listening to those beautiful words: "On mountains high, I'll praise Your name. In valleys low, I'll do the same." A good reminder at that moment, as I got a full picture of how different my life was about to become, that no matter where I go, no matter what circumstances I might find myself in, praising God must be my first choice always. He is totally worthy of my praise. He is faithful and true, and He has kept every promise. I have not always liked His answers, but He has always answered every prayer. He is giving and compassionate and loving beyond my capacity to describe. How can any circumstance overshadow those things? He is worthy of my praise.

Well, my friends, the workout video awaits. (I'm kind of sad to say this, but I miss my treadmill!) My sister, Kay, comes in today, and my sister, Cathy, comes in tomorrow. I am SOOOOO excited! I am absolutely nuts about my sisters. I hope you all have a wonderful day. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

2 comments:

Marc Ira Hooks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marc Ira Hooks said...

You are indeed a Proverbs 31 woman. I am honored to serve side-by-side with you as we continue to follow God in his will for our family.

ILYBC