Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My hiding place

"You are my hiding place. You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance. Whenever I am afraid I will trust in You. I will trust in You. Let the weak say I am strong in the strength of the Lord." "Hiding Place" by Selah

If you know me even a little, you know that music is very, very important to me. One of the ways God often speaks to my heart (especially when I am being hard-headed about something) is through music. This morning, as I was cross-stitching and baking cookies at 3 a.m. (I have got to learn how to sleep a little more), I was listening to Selah, and this song came on. Of course, it's straight from the Psalms, and more and more I am coming to appreciate the amount of scripture contained in some of the really good modern music. But I love the truth of it. On my own, I am so weak, so incapable. But with my eyes focused on Him, there is nothing I cannot do. It makes me feel so confident about our new life.

We have learned so many things about where we'll be living when we move to Moscow. I got a call on Saturday from the business manager's wife, Leslie, and she told me so much about our apartment! It was so exciting. We have been in contact with the people there now (a retiring couple from Georgia), and they seem so wonderful, too. I cannot say enough about the people we have worked with on the field. They are wonderful. I'm not saying missionaries are perfect, because they're just ordinary people with foibles and flaws like I am, but we have sure enjoyed the time we have spent with the people we'll be working with once we get there.

Speaking of getting there: we have our official leave date! October 2nd, my parents and Marc's will come to Richmond for our official IMB commissioning, and October 3rd we fly to Moscow, arriving October 4th. How exciting is that! That will give us time to acclimate a little before the main part of winter hits. (The big joke around our house is that our team is taking a retreat in November--to Siberia! Nothing like baptism by fire--or snow!!!) We will also have plenty of time to get our lives into some kind of normal pattern before Christmas hits.

Yesterday was such a fun day for us. We celebrated the 4th a day early with my parents and aunt and uncle. We always have so much fun there. We really enjoyed our time with them. In fact, it was the first day in a long time I can remember all five of us laughing until we cried over something. I think the delivering of the kitties to their new homes on Monday was a huge load off of everyone's shoulder. You know how it is when you dread something? It was a literal, physical weight lifted off of us when we knew our kitties were safe in good homes where they would be loved. To the two families who are providing those homes--you'll never know what it means to us, because we simply can't express it in words. Denise, Sarah Beth was especially happy to see her cat leave in a Vera Bradley bag. :o) But the dread was gone. Yes, it was hard and awful, and we basically spent most of Monday crying, but then it was over. I feel blessed that my kids have had the chance to say goodbye to impotant things and people in increments. It isn't like we moved and left all in one day. Instead, they've had time to adjust each step of the way. I'm thankful for that.

John's passport came yesterday (hallelujah!) and our final action packers arrived, too. (Action packers are the crates we are using to pack most things in--they are awesome, and can be used as storage when we arrive.) Time is drawing close! In a week, my sisters will be here, and I am soooo looking forward to their visit. They are the people I want to be when I grow up. In our small group time at candidate conference, I held myself together pretty well--until I talked about my sisters. They influenced me in so many ways...too many to count. They are not only great people, great sisters, but they are the most fun I have ever had. Cathy is compassionate and kind and caring, and has a dry wit that catches me off guard every time. Kay is generous and loving and loyal, and she literally makes me laugh until I cry when we're together. They are coming for a visit and so they can be at our commissioning on July 15th. I can't wait. (Did I mention I'm excited?)

Whatever you're doing on this July 4th, I hope you have a wonderful day. We are spending it very quietly with family, and I'm sure there will be time to think about what it means to be American. I'm proud of our country, and no matter where I am in the world, I will always pray for the U.S. I challenge you to commit some time each week to pray for the leaders of our country. They face immense challenges we cannot even fathom, and God has placed them in positions of power for a purpose. They need our prayers.

Blessings to you and yours!
His,
Kellye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfect!Great! This helped a bunch! I've read several
rather confusing websites lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.