Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Your word is life to me

Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar. Proverbs 30:5-6

Wow! I don't think I have ever really pondered these verses before. I've read through the Bible a couple of times, but one of the things I don't like about that approach is that I need more time to digest and chew than a read-through-the-Bible program gives me. Then I feel like I'm behind, and if you know me, you know that's enough to drive me over the cliff. These verses in Proverbs really struck me this morning, especially because I am really focusing on Bible study apart from the Bible reading I do as a part of my quiet time. Every single word has been tested. It is all truth. It doesn't require me to add anything to it. In fact, this says that if I try, I will be proved a liar and will be reproved by God. I don't want either of those things, so I'll stick to believing every word.

It's always interesting to me to see how God is working in my life. Now, what I'm about to tell you will make you think I am a complete and utter nerd, which I am, so be prepared. Every year, on January 1st, I choose a "theme song" for the year. For example, in 2005 it was "Great is Thy Faithfulness," which turned out to be very appropriate since that's the year we finally surrendered to God's call on our lives. In 2006, it was "Be Thou My Vision," which was appropriate as we went through the IMB process and strove to maintain the vision that God had given us for our mission. This year, I chose "Your Word is Life to Me," a song by Travis Cottrell, and this has been the year that God gave me a vision for really studying the Bible and knowing Him more. I especially like the chorus, which says, "You are the Word, my one desire, an all-consuming, holy fire, the very breath that I am longing for. My heart is desperate for Your ways, refine me in Your holy blaze if that is what it takes to know You more. You are the truth that sets me free. Your word is life to me." What I have found as I have really worked at studying the Bible is something my pastor has said again and again--everything in the Scriptures points to Jesus. And as I know more about the Scripture, I know more about Him, whether I'm studying the Old or the New Testament. And can I tell you this? The more I know Him, the more I want to know Him. I am astounded by Him, by His love, by His sacrifice for me. That One such as this could love me, could die for me...I will never grasp it. Never. But with the knowledge of this kind of love has come a joy and a freedom to love other people and a freedom from bitterness that has been absent in most of my adult life. To really know Him...it's more than I can explain in words.

So, here's my challenge to you: find a way to study more and know Him more. You don't have to be a rocket scientist or have a degree in theology to understand the Word. As a person who has studied literature for my entire adult life, that is what is so impressive about the Bible to me. To write something that is so profound and yet so simple...only God could have done that. Know Him. He's in there. But be aware of this--as you know Him more, you will come face to face with things in your own life that will have to go. For me, it was bitterness and anger and a martyr syndrome that I had become really attached to. Be ready for Him to do some excavation. I won't tell you that it will be painless, but once He's done...man! Life is really sweet on the other side of it!

I'm headed off for my morning walk and then we're going to the Utz potato chip factory in Pennsylvania. Pray that I can resist the urge to jump into the vat of potato chips and take a swim. :o) I love each of you. Thanks so much for reading this. Blessings!

His,
Kellye

No comments: