Tuesday, August 7, 2007

FPO, shots aplenty, the meningitis belt, and being home

Leading Southern Baptists to be on mission with God to bring all the people of the world to saving faith in Jesus Christ. International Mission Board Mission Statement

First, the good news: We are here. We have arrived in Rockville, VA, where we will be living for the next eight weeks. It is hot as hot can be, but it's beautiful--rolling hills and a beautiful lake that is right outside our back window. We are next door to our friends Robert and Elaine, and John-John has quickly learned the way to their house, and James and Nathan (their boys) have quickly learned the way here. Our friends Matt and Tara are here, though they are far away because they are going to South America. We have already spent significant time with each family, and we are looking forward to lots more time with these and other friends. The kids have settled in, and it's been interesting to watch them basically shed their worries. John is happy to be with friends. Sarah Beth is happy to not have any goodbyes to say for a while. And Hannah is happy to have her Webkinz all in one place.

Now, the bad news: Shots. Lots of them. I have more than any of the others (9), but nobody has less than 6. We literally have three whole days where we do nothing but line up, get our shots, and then go home to recover. This doesn't include the HIV tests we all have to have. None of us are thrilled with any of this, but we knew this was coming, and we still signed on for the gig. No complaining here. Just kind of dreading the pain.

There is something called the meningitis belt in Africa. No kidding. I found out about it this morning in the immunizations meeting. I guess that's like the Bible belt, but deadlier. (That's Marc's joke, by the way.) I also found out that the IMB (International Mission Board) saves Southern Baptists nationwide 800,000 to 1,000,000 dollars yearly by giving their own vaccines here at the Farm. That's pretty impressive. I promise you, the IMB is absolutely working hard to be good stewards of your money.

We were so overjoyed to be here when we arrived yesterday that it was hard to contemplate anything else. However, I had a brief moment when I realized that others were making sacrifices all around me. I watched a set of parents slowly walking their daughter to her dorm as they left her to go off on her own into North Africa and the Middle East. If you could have seen their faces, could have watched the sacrifice they were making...that's what worship looks like. I know it was a sacrifice of praise that God Himself admired, and it was overwhelming to watch. Pray for those parents who are sending their babies away to far-off places where they will be in danger. It is no small thing they do.

Well, I'm off to take a rest before dinner. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the cafeteria. We're getting used to it, but it's still kind of weird not to have whatever we want for dinner. Oh, well...I'm sure there will be other things that are far harder than that to come...like all those shots!

Blessings!

His,
Kellye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kellye,
I am enjoying reading your blogs each day and keeping up with your whereabouts. I have been praying for your family since you and Marc first came forward at church and said that you were being called to missions. I introduced myself to you one day at Family Christian Store and I have had some Beth Moore classes with you (I don't know if you'll remember me or not). I felt called approximately 6 months ago to go to Russia for a mission trip (not long term!!!! definitely short..). I thought I was in good shape because our church didn't have any planned for Russia. I confessed to my husband the Sunday of your commissioning that I felt called to go but that I also felt confident that it wasn't going to be anytime soon because our church didn't have one on the schedule. God has such a sense of humor, though, and Pastor Alan said that same day our church would be sending someone next Spring to Russia. My husband, John, looked at me like, "well, there you go...". Scared me to death. Still makes my heart flutter. The only mission trip I have been on was this summer to West Virginia with the senior citizens. I loved it! But, you know, it was in the US and I could easily call home. I know that God is going to use your family in a mighty way. I admire all of you for accepting the call. I will pray for you each day and keep you close to my heart. Good luck with all the shots. Take Care! In Christian Love, Terri Jo Perry
PS - This is my first ever blog and I don't really know how to do anything but anonymous.