Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Suffering

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18

It has been an interesting week so far. I mentioned earlier that Dr. Jerry Rankin, the president of the IMB, is here talking to us about spiritual warfare. It has been very enlightening, though it's hard to sit for that many hours at a time for me, since I'm used to being the one doing the talking and walking. One of the things he has stressed is that though demon possession and that sort of thing are found on the field, especially in remote, animistic areas of asia and africa, that isn't the spiritual warfare he is concerned with. Instead, it is the daily warfare that the Enemy does in the little things in life. You know--the materialism that creeps in, the lusts of the flesh, the pride of life that makes us want to be first...that kind of thing. I guess I'd never really thought of that as spiritual warfare, but it's been unbelievably good for me to listen to him. Today is the last day he's here with us. I have enjoyed getting to know him a little bit.

One of the things I am reading is a book called Church Planting Movements, which is a requirement of our region (CEE--Central and Eastern Europe). One of the things it says is that in most successful church planting movements, missionaries suffer. I don't want to suffer. I'm not for it. But I especially don't want my family to suffer. Whether it's my children on the field or my family in the states, I don't want to be faced with that. It is my greatest fear. But one of the things Dr. Rankin reminded us is that Satan is simply a messenger. He has no control over anything but what he whispers in our ear. He cannot give us cancer or make a car slide off the road. He simply isn't that powerful. I am protected by the Almighty God of the Universe, and so are those I love. Nothig will come to me except that which is sifted through His righteous right hand. What comfort and peace that is. I have spent a lot of time here praying through my fears for my family.

Many of you have emailed me your prayers for the children, especially for John-John. Thank you so much. He is starting to really settle in. We are blessed to be in a quad with one family we'll be with on the field--they live just up the metro from us in Moscow--and another couple in the Master's program (for retirees) who are so kind to my children. They have already learned to love their new aunts and uncles. (All MKs call other missionaries aunt and uncle...a way the IMB has of developing family relationships for us on the field.) Last night, we took the little kids to the playground, and there was a lot of noise and fun with other kids from our area of the farm (we live in the Asia section)...it was wonderful to hear them and watch them play and have fun. And John had a great day at school yesterday (even his teacher said it was a great day). They have implemented some things with him--like his kindergarten teacher did--and they are making a big difference. I am so thrilled. Thank you for praying.

Hannah and some friends have started a crochet club that meets in the afternoons. Sarah Beth and the other teenagers (they travel all together in a pack) are learning to salsa dance and playing ultimate frisbee. Life is pretty good. Let me say this--we prayed and prayed that Sarah Beth would have people here to befriend. This is an inordinately large group of teenagers. They are absolutely in love with one another. They go places together, joking and laughing and having fun, but they always obey the rules about boys and girls being together. I am so thrilled. The other parents here are so excited, too, about the way they have all gelled together.

A big thing for us is Saturday night. The children's ministry team and the AV team (which Marc is on--big surprise) are showing the premiere of High School Musical II for the whole campus. I wish you could have heard the excitement as it buzzed through the crowd when it was announced. The IMB is even giving us the big auditorium, and there will be a sing-along with the songs from the first one, and pizza and popcorn and cokes--huge for our kids. I cannot say enough what good care Southern Baptists take of their missionaries. If you put a penny in that plate for missions...thank you.

Well, it's time for me to run to breakfast. I am obviously really busy, or I would be blogging more. More than anything, I am forcing myself to sleep a little later in order to be more rested--something I have been very convicted about here. Know that you are loved beyond measure---by me! Blessings!

His,
Kellye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please do get enough rest.Satan will use that,against you.Gods Blessing to you for now.Becky