Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The baptism, packing, and FPO take-aways

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. Romans 12:1

Well, my goodness! It certainly has been a big couple of days at quad 34! First, my parents arrived on Sunday, then my sisters and Marc's family yesterday, the kids had open house at school, and then last night, John-John's baptism. We are really flying down toward the finish line now, and we feel like we're going to be able to finish the race. There were days we weren't totally sure we were going to make it, but God is faithful. Over and over, if we've learned nothing else, we've learned that God is faithful.

The baptism last night was amazing. A local church let us bring John-John and Laini and baptize them there. It was so exciting. People just kept showing up! We had about 65 people there...most from our region (Central and Eastern Europe), but also some IMB staff members, John-John and Laini's teachers, some missionaries-in-residence from Egypt, and even some of the church members who didn't know us but wanted to support us. How awesome is that!? We had a great time, and it was a very special thing for us to get to be with our friends Larry and Melissa, Laini's parents, because they are just incredibly important to us. We'll be connected forever because our children's spiritual birthdays and baptism dates will always be the same. We are so thankful that God, in His perfect timing, put this together, because it was the perfect thing for us to do before leaving.

Don't ask about packing. It's not going well. We feel like we've culled everything we can, but we still have too much. Today is the day, though--after commissioning, we must finish packing.

I've thought a lot about what I'm taking away from FPO. There are so many things, too many to really get down on paper yet. But a few that are really important and obvious follow.
1. The Scripture is enough. Just like God is enough, His Word is enough, too. Bible studies are awesome, and I really enjoy them, but at the end of the day, we all need to grow in our ability to just sit with the Book and look for God's direction in it.
2. God made each of us a certain way. My personality makeup is no better nor worse than anyone else's...it's just different. I don't have to feel bad that I am a big weeper, nor does my friend Larry have to feel bad that he's cold and heartless and refuses to shed a tear...it's just how God made us. (I couldn't resist, Larry.) Seriously, it was a big epiphany to me that my personality is a gift from God, not a hindrance. I just have to be who He made me to be--but I also have to let other people be who they are. That may be harder.
3. My calling to international missions, though I can't understand how God could possibly use someone like me, is steady and sure. He has a plan and a purpose, and I just need to make sure I get out of the way.
4. There are people on the other side of the world who need to hear from me about Jesus. Why it's me in particular, I don't know. But I'm convinced that they are there waiting. I'm excited about meeting them.
5. God has a specific plan for every life that is far better than anything we can dream up on our own. Never, in a million years, would I have dreamed up a life in Moscow, Russia. I was leading a perfectly good life in Florida. But His plans are bigger and better than mine. I'm happier, more content than I've ever been in my life. I highly recommend following God's path for your life...I swear it's so much better than doing stuff on your own.

Well, it's time for me to get moving. We have so much to do today. Please pray for us especially as we say our goodbyes to our FPO family. It will be hard. We love them very, very much. But this is part of our life, and though we don't like this part of life, we're learning to be focused forward instead of backward. Pray that we will focus today on loving people and leaving people well. Blessings to you and yours!
His,
Kellye

1 comment:

SSharron said...

Kellye,
We love you guys! We are praying for all of you. We were so thrilled to hear about John. How special that Marc could be the one to baptize him.
Can't wait to hear from Moscow.
Love you sister,
Sherri