Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter (well, sort of), 2008

Yep, that's the view from our kitchen window Easter morning. Nothing says Easter like a fresh coat of snow, right?
Thank you to my beloved friend, Elaine, who sent me an egg cookie cutter after my disastrous post at Christmas where I cried for the lack of a cookie cutter. As you can see, I had plenty of egg-shaped cookies for Easter.

Up from the grave He arose with a mighty triumph o'er His foes. He arose a victor from the dark domain, and He lives forever with the saints to reign. He arose! He arose! Hallelujah, Christ arose!

I'm not sure I have ever dreaded a holiday more than I dreaded Easter. Of course, Russian Easter is still a month away, so I have a chance to do some stuff again (I'm not sure we will, but we might, if it's an excuse to have another ham, which was really, really good). But at home, Easter was our big holiday, with Passion Play and Easter Sunday taking our focus for at least a full month before, Easter dinner at Angie and Raleigh's, with the kids hunting Easter eggs on the lawn and our traditional picture by the palm trees at the pool. We really have been homesick this week, especially with the big Tennebrae service at our church. It was hard. But you know what? We had a pretty good day. So here is my list of the things that were different and the same about our first Easter in Russia.

Things that were different:
  • We had a white Easter. That's just weird.
  • It isn't Easter here.
  • I had to look up the word for ham.
  • I used red pepper instead of green in my famous potato salad.
  • I didn't sing in the choir or praise team for Easter Sunday services.
  • I didn't understand the sermon at church (we went from Exodus to Hebrews to Luke...it was enough to try to understand the words for the books).
  • We did not have new clothes for Easter.
  • My parents weren't here.
  • My aunt and uncle weren't here.
  • I did not make a mandarin orange cake (no instant vanilla pudding here).
  • I wore a coat and snow boots to church.
  • I took a bus, a metro, and a marshrutka (kind of a taxi) to get to church.
  • It poured snow on us on the way to church.
Things that were the same:
  • The Easter bunny showed up (a special thanks to the Easter bunny for bringing some stuff from America...especially the squishy balls, which were a hit all around).
  • I sang "Total Praise" (even if it was just me and Jesus in my kitchen, I think He still appreciated the effort).
  • We had people we loved over for Easter dinner (our friends the Tarletons came over)
  • I made ham and potato salad and deviled eggs and green beans for dinner.
  • We dyed eggs (another thank you to the Easter bunny for the kit from the states).
  • We hunted eggs (in our apartment, because the snow might have made it a bit difficult).
  • We went to church (where they at least acknowledged that it was Easter in the States, and wished us a Happy Easter).
  • I read all four accounts of the first Easter. (My favorite is John.)
And the most important thing that remained the same: Jesus still rose from the dead, conquered death and sin, and gave me eternal life. In the face of that, there's nothing to do but rejoice, right? Snow or no snow, family or no family...He is still Lord, He still reigns, and He's MY Savior. It never ceases to amaze me.

Well, I'd better run. We have tons to do today, because we are leaving on the night train for Kiev. (I don't know if that's like the midnight train to Georgia or not. I'm guessing not, since everybody will be speaking Russian.) We will be completely out of communication until Thursday afternoon, when we return. Please pray for us. We are a little nervous about our first trip out of the country. But we know that, like everything else, God has this in His hands, too. I pray that wherever you are in the world, the Easter bunny showed up and you spent a miraculous resurrection day with people you love. Blessings to you and yours!
His,
Kellye

No comments: