Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Are you okay?

I must look pretty awful, because I've probably gotten this question fifty times in the last couple of days. I am okay. I promise. It was difficult to sell everything, and far more emotional than I had expected. By far the hardest was watching my piano go. I've pretty much given up saying the word 'piano,' because when I do, I cry. So many memories, so many special times were spent sitting around that piano. But the memories are not gone...just the piano.

I am struggling with what I can only guess is exhaustion. I am trying to get us into the mission house, teach VBS, and do all the paperwork necessary to get us into Russia. I'm not sleeping a whole lot at night. I'm pretty sure that's why people keep asking if I'm okay. Dark circles are my body's reaction to exhaustion. But you know what? This will change. Next week, we will get to relax a bit, spend some time together, and recoup some of the sleep missed this week. This, too, shall pass.

The sale on Friday and Saturday could not have gone much better. I actually had fun. Certainly, there were some sad moments, but there was also a lot of fun. I can't say enough about my mom and dad and Barb, Troy, and Jared Johnson. They were tremendous helps to me, and big supports while I got rid of everything. My Mom said it well: "It's not easy to sell your whole life." Nope, it's not.

Marc successfully got the storage stuff to Baltimore to his parents' house. They are storing those things we cannot get rid of: memorabilia, photo albums/scrapbooks, our grandfather clock Barry Bishop made us as a housewarming gift...there are some things too pricelss to get rid of, and those things will be residing in Maryland. Loading these things into the truck was difficult, too. Who knew I could cry this much? On Sunday, we celebrated communion. It flashed across my mind that this was the last time I would have communion (at least for a long time) in my church with my pastor. For a second, I was able to push it aside. Then it came back again. I could not stop the tears. There is no way to adequately express how much we love and appreciate and respect Alan Floyd. Nor are there words for how much we are going to miss him, both as our friend and as our pastor. He is such an important part of our call, such an important part of our lives...how can we conceive of a world where we don't hear him preach every week?

Lest this sound like I'm a blubbering idiot and the IMB should rethink their choices, let me emphasize this: God has granted us the desires of our heart. There is nothing in the world that could make me not want to go to Russia. Nothing. But if it were easy, I'm not sure it would mean as much. We have counted the costs, and the costs are high. But my precious friend, the cost of not following the God of everything whenever and wherever He calls...far too high to pay. There are tears to be shed--we love our life here...our friends, our church, our family. But He has called, and we are overjoyed at the thought that He has something He wants us to do. US!! Marc and Kellye!!! I can't get over it.

Hopefully, I'll get some sleep soon and look less like a zombie. And if you happen to see me, pat me on the back, give me a hug, tell me you love me, but for heaven's sake--don't say 'piano'!!

Blessings to you and yours!
His,
Kellye

2 comments:

Robert Rierson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert Rierson said...

Kellye,

WOW! Much of the same emotion. See my blog post on June 28. Thanks for the words of encouragement. We have indeed counted the cost. While I know beyond certainty that God is in this, why does it seem so hard?