Saturday, June 2, 2007

Plan B

If you live anywhere in central or north Florida, you are well aware that it is pouring rain outside, so there is definitely not going to be a yard sale today. Of course, because my internal clock has not yet figured out that I no longer have to rise at 4:30, I have been up for a couple of hours now, instead of sleeping in and enjoying the time to relax. As always, though, quiet time with God is so refreshing and renewing that I feel like I have gotten plenty of sleep. Plus, John-John has snuggled in with his Daddy under the quilts, and it's one of my favorite sights. They look so much alike, and it's fun to see them sleep, because they do exactly the same things.

Last night, I wrote about the list. What I didn't write about is all the ways God is at work in and around me, ways that I can clearly see. One way He's at work is through the people who are around us. My parents have been tremendous--putting off their plans for the summer to help us as we prepare to leave, working like dogs around the house, helping with the yard sale yesterday--in a thousand different ways, they have made this move possible, and they are a tremendous blessing to us. My aunt and uncle took the kids Thursday night and kept them all day yesterday, even though it was their anniversary. They have provided so much love to us over the years...another huge blessing in our lives. Marc's mom and dad have been so wonderful, so encouraging, so supportive...not to mention offering to store things for us. What a comfort it has been to us to know where things that are precious to us (like snow globes and scrapbooks) will be. What a blessing.

We spent Tuesday in Orlando, and spent the evening with Robert and Elaine Rierson and their sons, Nathan and James. We met them on the ride from the Richmond airport to ILC. It's a 40 minute ride, and we talked the whole way. They weren't in our small group, but they might as well have been. They are headed to Hungary, and we are all going to be together at FPO. What a blessing their friendship already is. Sarah Beth commented when we left their hotel on Tuesday night how great they were, how much she was looking forward to getting to know them better. Again...what a blessing. (I giggled all the way home thinking about their James and our John, both of whom are 6...get it? James and John? Like from the Bible? I'm pretty sure "sons of thunder" is an appropriate description...I only hope the teachers at CERC are prepared for those boys from CEE who are coming!)

Last night, Bill and Ada Wiisanen came over, and we spent some time talking (in the rain...what sweet folks). What a blessing they were to us--so encouraging, so compassionate. Ada Wiisanen is one of my favorite people...in a time when I thought nobody could put up with John-John and dreaded him coming through the church doors, she encouraged me again and again. He is crazy about her. Like Denise Terhune, she is someone who loved me by really loving my child. As we've gone through the process of being appointed, what an encouragement these two women have been to me, because fears for my children have definitely been the chink in my armor. What a great time together last night. More blessings through the people around us.

I guess my point is this: There are so many things around us that could be discouraging. It isn't easy to do all of the paperwork necessary to be gone. It isn't fun to sell everything you've worked to buy over the years. But if you really, really open your eyes and ears and heart, there are also so many things that are encouraging. There are circumstances that obviously have been put together by God. There are people everywhere who are loving us as we go through the long goodbye. There are people to help us. The folks at the IMB are fabulous in every way. The folks at Southern Seminary have been great. Our friends at church are so wonderful. Our friends on the mission field are willing to endure our three million questions and offer wise counsel. Our parents support and encourage us. We have made lifelong friends through the IMB. And above all, this--the God of Everything has called. For just such a time as this, He has brought us to this place in our lives. There is work He is doing, and He is going to let us in on the action. I will never get over it. Never.

Look around, my friends. God is at work in your lives, just like He's at work in mine. What is He doing? What is He calling you to do for Him? What and who are your "showers of blessings"? Whatever and whoever they are, be grateful and thankful, but above all, be aware.

Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: