Saturday, February 9, 2008

The prize, the package, the cards, and the joys of Andy Griffith

Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12

I think I've mentioned before that I am studying Philippians. What a pleasure it is to get up every morning and just read Paul's writing. What an encouragement to me. I especially like this verse, because when I think of God's call upon my life, I often have the image in my mind that I have been "laid hold of" by Christ, with Him grabbing my hand to direct me down a road I did not foresee. I definitely can understand Paul's imagery here. One of my favorite old hymns (I come to appreciate more and more the sound theology contained in those precious songs from the Sundays of my childhood) is "Higher Ground." Remember the words? I'm pressing on the upward way/new heights I'm gaining every day/still praying as I'm onward bound/Lord, place my feet on higher ground. Yep, I'm with Paul...I'm definitely not there, but I'll just keep pressing on, knowing that my Savior has something special for which He laid hold of me.

This was a fun week for us. Besides the Super Bowl party and the election returns sleepover, we received a fun package from Miss Spicy's Sunday School class at Westminster Baptist Church in Westminster, Maryland, Marc's home church and one of our partner churches. Miss Spicy's class was where Hannah went to Sunday School when we were there this summer, and to say the very least, Miss Spicy made an impression. They brought stuff together and sent it to us, and it was so much fun. There were several really cool things--books, cars for John, Uno cards--but the big hit was Orville Redenbacher popcorn, which we can't get here. It's so wonderful to know that people remember you, and for Hannah, who has struggled so much here, it was just an added boost to her day. We also received cards from another member of WBC, valentines for the kids, which were just so nice. And we received a letter from a member of FBC Allen, TX, another of our partner churches! It was so exciting. You can't imagine how much we get our hopes up when we check the mailbox. It's usually empty, so when there's something there...it's big-time for us.

Due to continuing visa issues in Russia, our friends Doyle and Karen are leaving for Krakow, Poland, tomorrow morning. They were very kind and gave us two huge bags full of vhs video tapes, at least half of which are The Andy Griffith Show. I cannot tell you how fun it has been to watch those shows. Remember when television wasn't objectionable? When you didn't have to cover your child's eyes because something awful had just come on the screen? Living in Russia is a little that way, because we've had the chance to really be choosy about what our kids watch, and they have really gotten into the old tv shows. John loves The Lone Ranger, Hannah enjoys The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet, and Sarah Beth's hands down favorite is Gilligan's Island. I was washing dishes last night and heard peals of laughter from the kids' room. Now, the kitchen is at the opposite end of the apartment, so for me to hear it, they were really laughing. When I went in to investigate, I found Han and SB laughing at Andy Griffith and the Darlings, where Mr. Darling decides he is going to "woo" Aunt Bea. Some things are just timeless.

Well, I'd better run. I need to wake some folks up here pretty soon, and I haven't started breakfast, yet. Pray for us today--we are visiting a new church. Would you covenant to pray with us about finding a church home here? We really need a place to belong, and that isn't easy when you aren't fluent in the language. We made a list last week of what we were looking for in a church, and this seems to fit the bill. It will take us about an hour to get there, but if it's where God has a home for us, it's well worth it. Wherever you are in the world, I hope you are looking forward to a wonderful day in God's house, and that somewhere in your home is a copy of some Andy Griffith shows. Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Hi Kellye,
I just found your blog through my best friend Tiffany's...and have spent the last two hours reading back into 2007. I have found great encouragement in your words, and especially, your transparency. My husband and I have just surrendered to God's call on our life to international missions. We haven't even begun the process yet. I'm scared to death, yet strangely at peace at the same time....if that makes any kind of sense. I just wanted you to know that I have been encouraged today through your blog. I'm sure I'll be returning often. And now, you are a new missionary friend on my prayer list! Blessings to you!