Thursday, February 28, 2008

In case you thought I'd dropped off the earth...



But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroms of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among thowho are being saved and among those who are perishing...II Corinthians 2:14-15

I realized this morning that it's been a week since I've written, and you likely thought I had completely disappeared from the face of the planet. Not true--I'm still alive and well in Moscow. (It still feels weird to write that!) The volunteer team from Allen, TX, came Saturday morning, and we have been running since they arrived. It's been so wonderful, and not just because my sister, Kay, is with them. The whole team is just great, very low-maintenance, very easy to be with, and very, very willing to be flexible, which is likely the most important quality of any team. Yesterday was the first time we had any "free time" since they arrived, and we had a birthday party for the three kids with gifts from Mimi and Poppy, Aunt Kay and Uncle John, and Aunt Cathy and Uncle Steve. The pictures are of some of their new outfits. John-John was particularly thrilled with his Sooner sweatshirt (just like Daddy's), and he insisted on wearing it to the English Camp last night, making sure everyone saw that he had a Sooner shirt on for his "pretend" birthday. (He kept calling it that and making all of us giggle.)

The camp has gone extremely well. We've had between 40 and 50 each night, with tonight being the final night. The team has done a wonderful job of teaching. From here, we'll develop English clubs that meet in our homes. I am especially excited about this. One thing the week has done for us is made us determined more than ever to concentrate on language so we can move on to full-time ministry. Because we haven't had language lessons this week, we've had the chance to see that life here is actually okay and doable if we aren't also full-time students. In fact, we've had more fun this week doing ministry than we've had since we arrived in October. It's been kind of like a carrot God has held out in front of us. "See? If you finish language, life will be better..." It's been unbelievably renewing and refreshing. Tomorrow, we'll take them to Ismaylovsky Park to buy souvenirs, and then the church is taking us to Hard Rock Cafe for dinner--I've never been to a Hard Rock Cafe before, so I'm kind of excited about that.

It's been interesting to see "my" city through the eyes of my sister. I'd sort of forgotten (how is that possible?) how different life here is. I don't think about how long it takes to get somewhere. I don't think about how quiet the metro is. It doesn't occur to me anymore. But it's been fun to look at Moscow through her eyes. Sometimes, what she sees is disturbing to her, and that's a good reminder of why we're here. But it's also good to see the beauty of Moscow, its history, and its people through the eyes of someone who is just getting to know those things.

Okay, this part is going to make Marc giggle, because he thinks I can turn anything into a lesson about how God is doing something. But I just can't help myself--He IS doing something. Having the volunteer team here has been such a gift for me, personally, and I can see how God is using them to refresh my spirit. Yes, it's going to be hard for them to leave on Monday, for us to go back to our life the way it's been, to go back to language, to continue the struggle to have a life here. But it's also a great way for Him to remind us why we're here. I am not in love with Russia or Russians. I'm really not. I have a heart and a passion for the city, the country, and the people, but I'm not so devoted to THEM that I can't imagine living anywhere else. However, I am totally and completely in love with my Savior, and He has called me here. My prayer has become so simple--more and more and more of Him. And the more I have of Him, the more this place doesn't seem so foreign to me--the more this huge city, with its different kinds of people, different language, different customs, becomes home. As I've taken people around, showed them parts of the city, taken them to the school, introduced them to Russian culture, the more I've come to recognize the absolute miracle God is working in me. He is answering that prayer to have more of Him. He continues to be faithful beyond my understanding. Through the team from Allen, He's given me new eyes to see what He's doing in me. What an incredible gift from my incredible God.

Well, I have to run. Sarah Beth needs to be up and showering for school--there's a big basketball tournament this weekend, and her best friend, Anna, is coming in from St. Petersburg and staying with us. What a weekend!!! I hope wherever you are in the world, you have a stockpile of marshmallows and peanut butter cups from friends (or maybe from your grocery store!) and that you are being amazed by our amazing God. Blessings to you and yours!
His,
Kellye

No comments: