Saturday, February 16, 2008

A really busy week




He doesn't so much call us to one task as to one Taskmaster. Going with Him isn't a one-time experience; it is a way of life. Being an Aroma of Christ by Karen Pearce

I am reading this unbelievable book by Karen Pearce, who works for the CEE (Central and Eastern Europe) media office as a writer. She and her husband, Preston, have served in Eastern Europe since our region began, and what she has to say about the struggles of missionary life...well, let's just say she hits it on the head again and again. Plus, she's funny and a good writer, so it's such a pleasant read. I read this passage this morning, and it struck me that this is exactly one of the things God is at work on in my life. I would love to think that the "hard work" of being a missionary is over--after all, we have laid it all down at the foot of the cross, right--careers, family, friends, cats, homes. Wouldn't a God who loved us make sure that after we did that, life would be easy? It turns out that our God loves us enough to not be content with a small renovation...He's in for the total rehaul of our lives. When I look back at our first months here, I am struck about how my expectations of how life would be did not match up with what life was. My children were not happy. I did not magically turn into June Cleaver on the plane ride over. All the struggles our family had in the states did not disappear, but were instead magnified a million times. Over and over again, my expectations were completely wrong. Now that we have settled into a kind of ease here, I know that it isn't because we became accustomed to anything, but that God has done some major, major work in our lives as a family. But more and more I realize that the thing I am really in need of, the thing I pray for the most, is Him...more of Him, all of Him, and none of me. When I pray that prayer and mean it...I won't say that life is happy, because it isn't always happy, but I will say that there is a level of peace and contentment that transcends logical explanation.

I realize I haven't written for a week, but I promise it's because I have been incredibly busy this week. On Sunday, we visited a new church and adored it. We were greeted by more people before we hung up our coats than had spoken to us at the other church in four months of attending. It was so exciting. I cried a little. I'm not kidding...I was just so thankful and grateful to be welcomed and greeted and loved, I couldn't hold back a few tears. On Monday, it was our turn to host the team meeting, which we did. Of course, as usual, we had a fantastic time. Our team meetings always end up in howls of laughter. Tuesday, I took the kids to Hinkson and worked with some of the seniors. Wednesday was our only "down" day...just a regular day with language class. Thursday, we met some other M's here for lunch at a steak house in Moscow for Valentine's Day. We had a wonderful, lovely time...again, more howls of laughter. Friday, we had class all day and then a meeting at night with our member care team. (For all our mission friends, it was a mandatory meeting...for all new folks! Just in case you were wondering...) Member care is a system set up by the IMB to provide missionaries with the counseling and emotional health help that can become necessary on the field. Because Russia is such a huge field with so many people, we have our own member care team, and the meeting was just about adjusting to Russia. It was fun, and the kids enjoyed playing with the other kids there. (Except for S.B., who stayed home and watched Andy Griffith by herself all night...a rare treat for her to be alone.) Yesterday, we just had a regular trip to the store in the morning, but that takes about 1.5 hours, because we have to walk there and walk back. Now, I'm getting ready to get everyone up and out the door for church.

It doesn't sound like much now that I've written it down. This week will be taken up with getting ready for a visiting volunteer team coming in from FBC Allen, TX, on Saturday. We can hardly wait for them to get here, not only because my sister, Kay, is coming with them, but because we feel really engaged with this church. They have never met us, but they have adopted us as their own, and we are just in love with them. They will be helping teach an English camp the whole next week, so please be in prayer for that. We can hardly wait...except that I have got to get my house clean! (See, some things are the same no matter where you live!)

Well, I'd better run. The pictures are of John-John's magnetix creation, which he was really excited about, what it looks like when it snows here, and my heart-shaped pancakes I made on Valentine's Day. I was pretty impressed with them, and judging from the way my family gobbled them down, they must have been, too. I make my own syrup, and I have to tell you, it's a lot better than the stuff I used to buy. Of course, it's also kind of a pain to make, but it'll be hard to go back to store-bought. (I'll manage, but I might have some complaints.) Wherever you are around the world, I pray that you are looking forward to spending some time in corporate worship with other believers who are excited that you're there, and that you have great maple syrup for your pancakes! Blessings to you and yours!

His,
Kellye

No comments: